Sunday, February 08, 2009

Black History Month 2009: Day 8

We're into Week 2 of the shortest but most inspirational month of the year and I don't know about you, but I'm enjoying every second of it. So far, most of my friends have adhered to "can't make fun of me" rule during the month. My employer and many other stations I have seen have been airing tributes for the month. And most of all, Luke has come through each and every day with a great pick for the top 28 Black TV characters/personalities. Black History Month is turning into Christmas for me every day. So what is today's present?

February 8, 2009
#21 - Black Smoke Monster - "LOST"

Read Luke's full post here (especially if you like LOST)

Luke's Take: Why put the black smoke monster on my list? Well, for starters, LOST is my all-time favorite television show, so it only makes sense it has at least one character represented. Secondly, it is not your typical run-of-the-mill monster. Yes, it has killed people in the past, three to date thus far, but it also seems to track down people and take some sort of memory-picture. It's not just a killer. Lastly, as I mentioned previously, it is the biggest on-going mystery of LOST. We learn a little bit more about each season, which only causes my interest in it to grow each season as well.

My Take: Interesting choice Luke. I'll say this, very unexpected but I gotta say, I'm a fan of it. Yeah, this really doesn't have anything to do with Black History really but you know, just how some Black people consider Bill Clinton the first Black president, I will say this pick works. The Black Smoke plays a huge role in the show even though it will never be found on imdb. If and when the origin of it is revealed, it will be a big moment in the show.

But I do have one big beef with this pick. The Black Smoke killed Mr. Eko, a prominent Black character on the show. I don't know if any person that is regarded as a Black American hero or positive figure has committed a crime, let alone a Black-on-Black crime. So yes, while I am a fan of the pick because it proves Luke is thinking outside of the box and really cares about this list, I also want to make sure those who read this know I do not condone killing, especially when it's our Black brethren.

B.H.M. Quote of the Week: Racism isn't born, folks, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list. ~Denis Leary

1 comment:

Luke said...

Two things ... 1) absolutely LOVED your quote today, didn't see a Dennis Leary joke coming, but it was perfect ... 2) glad you liked the smoke monster pick (probably just one more surprise down the road, okay, maybe two)