Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Black History Month 2009: Day 17

Hello again and welcome to the countdown of Luke's favorite Black TV characters/personalities of all-time. I hope this countdown is taking your mind off of the terrible financial times we are in here in the United States. These are tough times I know but we will get through this. Just think. 50 some years ago, Blacks and Whites in Augusta, GA weren't exactly always getting along. But now, things are much better. So Hakuna Matata peeps. Things will get better. But enough of my pep talk. We have a countdown to continue.

February 17, 2009
#12 - Victor Williams as "Deacon Palmer" - "The King Of Queens"

Read Luke's full post here (do yourself a favor)


Luke's Take: Without trying to get too wordy, Deacon has a cool name, usually remains cool during ridiculous situations, and well ... is just a cool guy. He is a guy that I would want to hang out with, go to the bar and grab a drink. Or go to a basketball game, play some cards, basically any other guy situation. I also love how he throws in the "black card" from time-to-time, but it usually is in a humorous manner. But, at the end of the day, he comes off as a guy I would love to have as a friend.

My Take: If I were to compare this pick to an Alex Rodriguez at-bat, I'd say this is a homerun (post-Steroids). As Luke so eloquently said, Deacon is just a cool guy. In some ways, he reminds me of well, me. No, not saying that I am cool (far from it) but in the way he interacts with Doug reminds me a bit of myself. The random "race card" being played. The way he always goes with Doug's crazy antics. And just how chill he is when Doug gets all worked up.

Yet again, I noticed how Luke has picked another person that has a black-white relationship. I think a trend is sort of showing up. In some ways, these characters resemble the friendship Luke and I have (which is a damn good one). But another thing to notice is that while Deacon is the token Black guy in the show, he seems to bring out the best in Doug, even more so than his wife. I like to think I do that for Luke too, but that's debateable. Anyways, great pick Luke. Deacon is definitely an underrated Black TV character of our generation.

B.H.M. Quote of the Day: Do the right thing. ~Spike Lee

No comments: