If you're just now going this Black History Month celebration/countdown, where have you been? Unless your excuse is watching "The Color Purple", "Roots" or "Coming To America', your excuse is not good enough. We are doing big things here on this blog, including celebrating the month of February with a countdown of Luke's favorite Black TV characters. So far, we've had a rapper-turned-motivator, a childhood comedian and a cartoon. So what's next? Time to find out as the month-long countdown rolls on.Luke's Take: "But, during my two years of American Idol, I became a fan of Randy Jackson. Somewhere in between Paula Abdul's "everyone is great" spirit, and Simon Cowell's "you make me want to kill myself" attitude, there is Randy Jackson. He has a great way of telling you are horrible and not making it sound that bad. Just as Rev Run seems like a real dad, Randy Jackson comes off as the most "real" of the three judges. During my two year stretch of watching, I never disagreed with anything Jackson said, or more importantly, how he said it."
My Take: I was actually surprised to see Randy Jackson make this list. Didn't think Luke was a fan of his. But I'm glad Randy Jackson did because the guy deserves some credit. When Idol first began, he was the judge that was truly a no-name. People knew Paula. People didn't know Simon but were forced to within the first week. Meanwhile, Randy flew under the radar, making a name for himself as the guy who kept it real with contestants.
Is he a role model for the black youth of today? Probably not. But does he make for great TV? Absolutely. Hearing a black guy combine the words "dawg" and "dude" into one sentence is impressive. Plus, you can tell he really hates seeing people do bad. In other words, he has a heart unlike Simon. Mad props to Luke for this pick. I'm pretty sure Blacks everywhere are proud of what Randy Jackson has done in his 8 seasons on Idol. As for Paula.....
B.H.M. Quote Of The Day: I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. ~Muhammad Ali

No comments:
Post a Comment