Saturday, February 07, 2009

Black History Month 2009: Day 7

As you know, the month of February is only 28 days (29 in those special years). So here we are at Day 7, which means we have reached the quarter-mark of our countdown. As depressing as that is for many of you, that also means we are getting that much closer to the top Black TV character/personality as picked by my friend Luke. As of now, I have no idea who he is going to choose. But instead of speculating on that, I'm gonna enjoy each and every day left in this wonderful month. Because as you know, it is the best month of the year (for Black people at least!)

February 7, 2009
#22 - Alton Williams - "Real World: Las Vegas", "Gauntlet"

Read Luke's full post here (includes a dig on me)

Luke's Take: "It is a show full of self-centered people who get drunk and make out with each other. It's nothing but mindless television, but Alton stands out amongst the crowd. You can get the sense that he is a fun-loving, humble guy with a laid back personality, who absolutely DESTROYS everyone in these ridiculous challenges. Believe me, if the Real World/Road Rule Challenge had a Hall of Fame, Alton would be the first inductee."

My Take: For the first time in this countdown, I have no idea who this guy is. Yep, that's right. No clue. I have never watched an episode of "Real World" until this season's Brooklyn edition. To go with that, I never watched an episode of the "Gauntlet" or the "Inferno" because I didn't know any of the people. But after reading Luke's post and watching the videos, I gotta admit, I'm impressed by this Alton guy.

Though he wouldn't stand a chance on a show like Survivor or American Gladiators (old), he obviously knew how to kick the butts of 20-something guys and girls with no goals in life but to be on MTV for as long as they let them. In terms of Black history, Alton probably deserves a spot in the reality TV section, especially considering there is the one or token Black people on each show and just like scary movies, they tend to leave early.

B.H.M. Quote of the Day: The United States has been called the melting pot of the world. But it seems to me that the colored man either missed getting into the pot or he got melted down. ~Thurgood Marshall

No comments: