Thursday, February 12, 2009

Black History Month 2009: Day 11

We're nearing the halfway point of our journey and man oh man, has it been fun so far. Luke has been picking some solid Black TV characters and providing some great videos to supplement his choice. If you haven't been checking his post out, do it today. You'll be happy you did. So who did Luke pick today? Time to find out.

February 11, 2009
#18 - Tracy Morgan - "SNL" and "30 Rock"

Read Luke's full post here

Luke's Take: Tracy Morgan gets a bad rap at times, mainly because he has been in some movies/television shows that have flopped ... badly. The Tracy Morgan Show lasted a mere five episodes, and shouldn't have made it that far before getting canceled. Anyone remember Totally Awesome? I hope not. What this tells us is that Morgan is best served in the supporting role. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact, it was good enough for him to make this list, so he must be doing something right.

My Take: Well to start, I wasn't a fan of Tracy Morgan on SNL. He was too over the top for me and in turn, not that funny. As for 30 Rock, well, I've never seen an episode of 30 Rock. It's on Thursday night, which in college meant I was not watching TV and now means, well, the same thing. So I really can't qualify Luke's statements about Tracy Morgan on those shows.

But when he's not on those two shows, he's pretty damn hilarious too. I found two examples that Luke does not have in his blog. I saw both of these Morgan moments and these two things alone make him more than worthy of making this prestigious list.

First, his acceptance speech at the Golden Globes...



And then, talking about his relationship with Oprah on Letterman...



So all in all, not a bad pick. Maybe a bit high but ay, Luke's choice, not mine. And considering the lack of Blacks in TV these days, I think Tracy is doing his part.

B.H.M. Quote of the Day: Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: