Hello and welcome back to the countdown you've waited 11 months for. Well, maybe that's just me. Either way, it is another day in February and that means another TV character has been selected by my friend Luke. He's done a great job so far in my mind. Feel free to leave your thoughts on his picks in the comments section. Of course, this is all happening because it is Black History Month and I hope you have done something to celebrate the best month of the year. Enough talking though, it's time to continue the countdown. Who did Luke choose today?Luke's Take: Watching re-runs on television from an early age, I became an instant fan of Redd Foxx. The timing of his humor was impeccable, his fearlessness of not being politically correct was cutting edge, and his one-liners will never be forgotten. Sanford and Son was well ahead of its time, and a big part of that came from Foxx's character, Fred Sanford. There has never been another show like it, and there never will be. Sanford and Son was a classic.
My Take: My initial reaction was "eh" because I'm actually not a big fan of "Sanford and Son". The reruns don't really make me laugh. But I am a fan of Redd Foxx. In a time when Black comedy wasn't exactly popular, he was one of the leaders. And for that, I am extremely happy that Luke went with this pick.
What this pick does make me wonder is what has happened to all the good Black comedies? I mean, there aren't any anymore besides the terrible, and I mean terrible, Tyler Perry comedies on TBS. It's just a sad sight because there are some funny Black people out there (not me) that deserve a shot but either they're not getting it or there aren't any good ideas. But maybe Luke's selection of Redd Foxx will get things going. Ay, a boy can dream right?
B.H.M. Quote of the Day: The African race is a rubber ball. The harder you dash it to the ground, the higher it will rise. ~African Proverb

No comments:
Post a Comment