Monday, February 09, 2009

Black History Month 2009: Day 9

Well folks, we are down to the top 20 picks by Luke for best Black TV character/personality. There have been some great ones so far so I can't wait to see what comes next. Lately, I've been getting some grief from people who feel that I have been overdoing it this Black History Month. I disagree though. In fact, I think I am doing what I should be doing, calling attention to the month. And since no one else will, I have no problem carrying the flag. So don't complain to me. Complain to the rest of America for not making this month much more important. Enough lecturing from me though. We have a countdown to get to.

February 9, 2009
#20 - Malcolm-Jamal Warner as "Theo Huxtable" - "The Cosby Show"

Read Luke's full post here

Luke's Take: Theo was the perfect compliment to Bill. You got the sense that they had a strong Father-Son bond, similarly to Sanford and Son. Whenever Theo got in trouble, which happened from time to time, Heathcliff would be right there to set him straight. Theo was outgoing, loved sports, and always had girls on his mind. As a young kid watching, this made quite the impression on me. It became quite common for me to try and mimic his personality.

My Take: Another day, another solid pick. I had no doubt in my mind "The Cosby Show" would make the list and for good reason. It is one of the best, if not the best comedy ever. And one of the reasons for that is because of Theo Huxtable. Theo was the typical teenage kid in those days and despite having 4 sisters, loved his family. Honestly, he was an inspiration for me and I just had one sister!

To me, there's nothing really that stands out about Theo but in the end, I think that it was made him so great. He was just another teenager. He didn't seem like a character on TV. He got in trouble. He dated girls and said dumb things to them. He had his problems in school but in the end, did enough to graduate. Seems like in TV these days, ordinary is boring but when it came to "The Cosby Show" and Theo, ordinary was extraordinary.

B.H.M. Quote of the Day: The past is a ghost, the future a dream. All we ever have is now. -- Bill Cosby

No comments: