Thursday, February 26, 2009

Black History Month 2009: Day 25

Well boys and girls, we are smack dab in the Top 5. I'm sorry for the delay in getting this post up but I've had a whirlwind day. But this always makes me feel better. Finding out the next selection by Luke is his countdown of his favorite Black TV characters/personalities. I still am in disbelief that that I made the list. But now that I have, I'm really excited to see who beat me for the top spot. So who did Luke choose for the fourth position? You may not have heard of him...

February 25, 2009
#4 - Gervase Peterson - "Survivor: Borneo"

Read Luke's full post here (especially if you don't know him)

Luke's Take: As I saw the cast of characters the first time through, I quickly picked Gervase to be my horse. Yes, he was the only black guy, which not going to lie, somehow appealed to me. But, he was also a YMCA basketball coach, and seemed to be the guy I would want to hang out with the most from the bunch. I figured he would be athletic, in shape, and be able to handle the load physically. Mentally, well, since I picked him from day one, I had no idea.

My Take: Well, those of you who know me well know that I love Survivor. It's right behind The Amazing Race for my favorite TV show. And it's hard for me to believe that my love for this show began all the way back in 2000, and one of the reasons was Gervase. Like Luke said, he just seemed like a regular guy who had no business being out in the jungle but also had a good shot to win because of his athletic build and great personality. Well, that was not to be.

Instead, Gervase was fairly weak while out on the island. He didn't win any individual challenges. And while his personality helped him make friends, he wasn't smart enough to get an alliance, which led to his demise. To this day, Gervase still is one of my favorite survivors because he was the first one I liked. It's like that first toy you get as a kid that you always have that connection with. That's kind of how I feel with Gervase. Now in its 18th season, Gervase has been forgotten by many Survivor fans, but not by me. And not by Luke. Great pick.

B.H.M. Quote Of The Day: "Question everything. Every stripe, every star, every word spoken. Everything." ~Ernest Gaines

No comments: