Monday, February 02, 2009

Black History Month 2009: Day 2

Hello and welcome to the next installment in the countdown of Luke's 28 favorite Black characters on TV. If you've missed one, just head to the archives and catch up. Again, this is all part of a month-long celebration of Black History Month and I really hope you enjoy it. So in the words of an old professor of mine, onwards!

February 2nd, 2009
#27 - Kel Mitchell - "All That", "Kenan and Kel", "Goodburger"

Read Luke's full post here

Luke's Take: Welcome to good burger, home of the good burger, can I take your order? Who loves orange soda? Kel loves orange soda. I do, I do, I do, I doo. Those two lines were repeated close to a million times in the Florence household during the 1990s by my brother Josh and myself. Both are credited to Kel Mitchell. Yes, I am aware that Kenan Thompson played a large role (pun intended) in these lines, but Kel was more memorable.

My Take: I couldn't be happier with this selection. Like Luke, I was a huge fan of SNICK and found myself saying the words "orange soda" more than any normal kid should. I think what made Kel better than Kenan is that Kel was actually funny. Kenan was trying too hard, and still does to this day on SNL.

Not real sure what has happened to Kel since the glory days of SNICK and "Goodburger" but let's hope, whatever he is doing, he is making someone laugh because that's what made him memorable and obviously, one of the well-liked Black TV characters of our generation.

B.H.M Quote Of The Day - My father was a slave and my people died to build this country, and I'm going to stay right here and have a part of it, just like you. And no fascist-minded people like you will drive me from it. ~Paul Robeson

No comments: