Saturday, February 14, 2009

Black History Month 2009: Day 13

Friday the 13th is normally an unlucky day. But when it's Black History Month, there are only lucky days. I know, corny intro but I'm running out of ideas and it's a lot later than I normally do these things. But despite my fatigue tonight, I'm not too tired to share another selection in our countdown of best Black TV characters/personalities according to my friend Luke. He's done great so far picking characters that truly deserve to be recognized during this important month. How about tonight?

February 13, 2009
#16 - "Chef" - South Park

Read Luke's full post here

Luke's Take: Chef was arguably the smartest adult helping out the four South Park youngsters (Eric, Kenny, Stan, and Kyle). He cooked them their lunches, but more importantly, he guided them through awkward situations in his own unique style, which typically involved singing. Why does a cartoon chef sing? Well because he was voiced by the late - and great - Issac Hayes. For the early seasons of South Park, his voice would be my first association with this hilarious animated show.

My Take: I hate this show. I don't find it funny at all. And in all honesty, unlike Family Guy, I actually think this show is trying to offend people instead of being comedic.

As for Chef, the only good thing I can and will say about him is that he was voiced by Isaac Hayes, who I'm a big fan of. He actually left the show because the show made fun of scientology, which offended Hayes. But yeah, other than that, in my book, this is a swing and a miss. But it's not my list. Just my reaction.

B.H.M. Quote of the Day: Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally. ~Abraham Lincoln

No comments: