What's good everyone? Hope you're enjoying your final week of Black History Month. From a Presidential Address to the return of Tiger Woods, there is plenty to be excited for. But what's more exciting than either of those two things is that we are down the top 5 in Luke's countdown of his favorite Black TV characters/personalities. He threw me for a loop with #6 so there's no telling what he'll have coming in the Top 5. So enough from me. Luke, the floor is yours...February 24, 2009
#5 - LeVar Burton - "Reading Rainbow"

Read Luke's full post here (go on, re-live your childhood)
#5 - LeVar Burton - "Reading Rainbow"

Read Luke's full post here (go on, re-live your childhood)
Luke's Take: Yes, we all know Burton from his time on Star Trek, but that's not why he is on this list. It is solely for his performance on Reading Rainbow. As the host, he took us along on adventures, always visiting interesting places along the way. What I loved best about Burton was his child-like wonder. He reflected my thoughts and feelings as if I was actually right there beside him. In a sense, he kind of became part of our family, at least in my head.
My Take: I mean, what is there to say here? Like Luke, I grew up watching Reading Rainbow. Everyday, I would turn on PBS and watch and listen as LeVar Burton led us on another adventure, introduced us to another book and above all, entertained me for a solid-half hour. I actually enjoyed books then. I read every Goosebumps novel. I actually used my library card. I guess in the end, LeVar Burton and "Reading Rainbow" had an influence on me.
These days, I don't read often if at all. But that's at no fault of "Reading Rainbow". but what does concern me is that while I grew up with Burton and this amazing show, the kids today are missing out. They are watching mindless shows like "Spongebob" and "Hannah Montana". What Burton did is open the eyes of tons of youngsters like me and without him, who knows where I would be. And like the theme song says (one my faves too), "I can go anywhere...I can do anything". Another great choice L-Flo.
B.H.M. Quote Of The Day: "If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die." ~Maya Angelou
2 comments:
Not one word about Star Trek... I hate you.
There's nothing to be said about Star Trek. I've never seen an epsiode
Post a Comment