Thursday, August 11, 2011

Matt's Top 100 Movies: Luke's List (51-60)


Another week, another review of Luke's list of movies. So far through 40, Luke has surprised me a lot with his choices. Let's see if that trend keeps up this week.

#60 Forgetting Sarah Marshall
-- Don't have a problem with this movie being on the list at all. Nearly made my list. A funny movie for sure but in my mind, slow at times. The premise is pretty darn funny and the acting is good as well. Can't go wrong with Jason Segal and Paul Rudd (again, seems like he is only in good movies) but Russell Brand kind of annoys me.

#59 Up
-- This is a movie I've been meaning to see since it came out. I've heard nothing but great things about it from the plot to the voice acting to its overall entertainment factor. What I hear most often about this movie is that even though it is animated, it feels more like a movie for adults than kids. You can't say that for other animated flicks but "Up" sure looks like it is different.

#58 The Wrestler
-- I've been starting to make it a point to see movies that won Oscars or were at least given Oscar consideration. Many of those movies have or will make an appearance on the list. This is a movie that is one I want to watch. Heard nothing but great things about it and have no doubt it would crack my next top 100 list. Kudos to Luke for not just seeing this movie but for giving it its due that I am sure I would give it as well.

#57 Se7en
-- Another movie I've been wanting to watch for awhile. I actually had it on my DVR when I left for about 2 months but never got to it. The stories I've heard from the movie make me think it's the sickest movie ever made but at the same time, is a must-see movie. Just like many of the movies Luke has on his list, I will make it a point to watch this one. I'm not a sure though this will make my list but I'm excited to give it a shot.

#56 Tin Cup
-- Like Luke, I don't see this as a romantic comedy. More of a dramedy that is drama and comedy with a hint of romance. This is just a great movie from top to bottom. Great scenes, great characters, and a great plot for a sports and golf fan like me. The scene on the 72nd hole is one I think of every major championship in golf with water on the finishing hole. Great selection by Luke.

#55 Blood Diamond
-- The trailer does intrigue me but I'm not sure exactly if this is a movie I want to see. I don't doubt though that it is a good movie. Djimon Hounsou is an underrated actor but is also limited in his roles because of his strong accent. Leo DiCaprio is one of the better actors out there right now as well. The premise isn't exactly up my alley but I won't hate on Luke for including this movie on his list.

#54 What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
-- I've had tons of opportunities to watch this entire movie, especially when I was much younger. But I never did...and I kind of regret it. The trailer really intrigued me. It has the vibe of a movie that I would enjoy. A movie that has a real feel because it has such a simple plot as Luke points out. I also would love to see this movie as it stars two actors that are in the prime of their careers now (Depp, DiCaprio) but probably started their climb. Hopefully, I will not make the same mistake I made in my younger years and actually check it out.

#53 American Beauty
-- I've said before how I am not a Kevin Spacey fan. Well, since he is in this movie, I already don't want to see it. The trailer was just okay. It kind of anoyed me because it felt like it had WAY too much going on. Now as Luke said, if they weave them seamlessly, then yes, maybe this movie is amazing. The Academy Awards don't give away 5 Oscars to a movie for no reason so I probably should and will see this movie at some point But much like Luke, I have no real desire right now.

#52 Silence of the Lambs
-- My Mom and Dad love this movie, or at least I think they do. Maybe they actually hate it. Whatever their opinion, I just know it's a movie they would not allow me two watch when I was younger. Because of their constant imploring of me to not see the movie, I've never wanted to. Plus, Hannibal Lecter creeps me out in commercials, trailers, posters, etc... The words "Hello Clarice" still gives me chills and I haven't seen the movie. Maybe one day I'll come around because yet again, the Academy Awards don't give out 5 Oscars to just any film.

#51 Changeling
-- Again, haven't seen this movie. The trailer for this movie is interesting but doesn't get me that excited to see it. Angelina Jolie is not one of my favorite actresses so that's a negative. But Clint Eastwood movies are very good normally, so there's a plus. The storyline seems strong but I just don't know if I would really get into it as much as Luke seemed to have. Of all the movies I have not seen on Luke's list, this is not one I will be rushing to watch.

So there you have it. My honest and humble opinion of Luke's latest ten. A solid first 50 I'd say. Can't wait to see what the next 50 brings.

Until then, Hakuna Matata.

No comments: