Sunday, August 21, 2011

Matt's Top 100 Movies: Luke's List (41-50)

Link
You know the drill by now. I reveal my list of latest ten movies. I post the trailers from those films. And then give my opinion/reaction to the movies revealed by my list-making partner-in-crime Luke. we're in the top 50 so judging gets tougher...or not.

50. Renaissance Man
-- Looks like "Major Payne" just with a short white guy. No disrespect to Danny Devito, who I think is a fine actor depending on the role, but I don't see this role being one I'd find funny. I haven't seen the movie so I don't want to judge the entire film but I will say if Luke has it in his top 50, it better be exactly what the movie poster says on it: "Solid laughs".

49. Old School
-- The movie every kid needs to see before they go to college. Seriously, it should be a prerequisite just like taking AlcoholEDU (that's for all you OU peeps). I love this movie and am glad to see it make Luke's list. The comedy is top-notch and as Luke says, it speaks to a wide audience. I can see myself loving this movie for a long time because I will go from seeing it through the view of the college student to the one of a "Frank the Tank". Quality selection.

48. Memento
-- Not only have I not seen this movie but really have no recollection of its trailer or any build-up to it. Granted, it was made 11 years ago but even then, I tend to remember movie trailers at least. It may be the lack of a huge name that keeps this movie from jumping to the forefront of my brain but regardless, I don't see myself liking this "thriller", at least from the trailer. But this movie does have a few things going in its favor for why I respect Luke's pick. Directed by Christopher Nolan, told in a non-conventional way (backwards according to Luke), and the fact that Luke puts it in his "all-time/legendary" category.

47. Requiem For A Dream
-- I've been told by multiple people just how weird and creepy this movie is. And for that reason, I have not seen it. What is appealing about a movie that people classify as weird and creepy? Or in Luke's case, bizarre? Luke even told me earlier that it's a movie he never wants to see again. Not a great sell job for a movie that cracks the top 50 after one watch. I'll pass.

46. Dead Poets Society
-- Chalk this one up as a movie I've been meaning to watch for awhile. I've come to understand that Robin Williams is actually a really good actor. Not just talking comedies either but dramas as well. The trailer for this movie is just more motivation for me to stop saying I want to see it and actually make the effort to see it. I have no doubt I would enjoy it and have zero problem with Luke putting it this high on his list.

45. Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore
-- This is cheating. I know he did this to fit a movie he forgot onto the list though so I won't give him too much grief. These are two different movies though. I know both involve an Adam Sandler character having to do some "growing up" and falling for a girl who is authority figure before she becomes a girlfriend but I like one a lot more than the other. I won't say which one as one will appear on my list and the other will not.

44. Mystic River
-- Gotta love that the "top 40 pick" Luke forgot didn't even make the top 40. But I'm not sure why. Again, not a movie I've seen (seriously, Luke, you're killing me) but one I wouldn't mind seeing. And that's for one reason only: Clint Eastwood. Yeah, I just said a week ago I don't think I would like "Changeling" but that's more because of Angelina Jolie and the plot. This one has a plot and a cast I think I would enjoy. Glad Luke was able to add it to his list. Just wish it would have made it in the first place so he didn't have to cheat the system.

43. October Sky
-- Yeah, count me in the category of definitely not wanting to ever see this movie. Trailer was boring. Plot seemed boring. And the way it was shot, while accurate with the timeframe of the movie, would bore me. In fact, all I think I would find myself doing if I watched this movie is trying to figure out what other TV shows/movies the supporting cast was in. Guys like Chris Owen ("American Pie, She's All That"), William Lee Scott ("The Steve Harvey Show") and Chad Lindberg ("The Fast and the Furious").

42. Aladdin
-- I figured all the grief Luke had been giving me for my animated movies meant that he had none probably cracking his top 50. Well, I was wrong. Aladdin makes the list at #42 and as you can expect, I am pleasantly surprised. Aladdin has already cracked my list and for many of the same reasons Luke laid out in his post. It's more than just a great Disney movie, but a great movie overall. Glad Luke tapped into this younger side to find this classic.

41. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
-- Haven't seen this movie and never really wanted to. The trailer creeped me out and the concept, while unique, was too incredibly unbelievable for me to even really consider watching it. Unlike the movie "Jack", Button gets younger. Seems stupid...probably because it is. I have heard the acting is wonderful, which helps make up for the plot. The 13 Oscar nominations can't be a fluke either. But overall, I'm not gonna be racing to a Redbox to see a movie that is 160 minutes long with a plot I have no zero interest or even intrigue in.

That's my take. You can always share your take of Luke's latest list on his blog. 60 down, 40 to go everyone. Look for my latest list very soon right here.

Until then, Hakuna Matata.

No comments: