Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Matt's Top 100 Movies: 41-50 Trailers


It's that time again. A chance to catch a glimpse of the latest ten movies to make my list. I'm starting to notice these posts are the most for me because I get to re-live the movie, even if for just 2 minutes. Got a great set of trailers this week but I think that's simply because they come from great movies.

50. She's All That

My Take: Not nearly as funny as it could be. For one thing, where is Laney tripping on the bottom stair? I seem to remember that making the trailers back in the day. Also, not a big fan of the narrator explaining to me how the story goes. Also, love how they highlight Usher Raymond as a star of this movie. Usher may have 6 lines in the whole thing. Come on man! Think I just expected more than this effort.

49. (500) Days of Summer


My Take: Gotta love a trailer that comes with a disclaimer at the beginning of "This is not a love story". Great stuff. I like how it gives you an idea of how the movie is set up in how it jumps from day to day and gives you every good and bad moment from their relationship. Also, some quality lines dropped in to get some laughs. Quality trailer.

48. Air Force One

My Take: Talk about ramping up the action in a trailer! That is a nonstop trailer but I'm not sure that's a great thing. It was just a lot of shooting, explosions, and frantic action. With that said though, that's kind of how this movie operates. It grabs you and doesn't let go when it comes to action. Just really wish it used the "GET OFF MY PLANE" line.

47. Tin Cup


My Take: Solid trailer. What I really like about it is that you immediately become a Roy McAvoy fan. The real underdog in not just his golf game, but his love game. But you can see the way he is working at it, giving the audience a reason to root for him. Wish there was a bit more of the golf storyline in the trailer to grab the sports fan because this trailer does come off a bit too much romantic comedy for my liking.

46. Groundhog Day


My Take: When you make a movie that repeats a lot of scenes often, it's gotta be hard making a trailer. I think the way they put this one together is about as good as it gets. It shows you how Bill Murray adapts to his new way of life and how it drives him nuts but at the same time, makes him a better person. And because it has a lot of Bill Murray, it is really funny too.

45. Wedding Crashers


My Take: Hard to argue with the comedy in this trailer. Vince Vaughn is the king of the one-liner so trailers are perfect to showcase his comedy. Like the way they split it up too as two different relationships, so the rom-com people can go for Owen Wilson while the immature comedy crowd can go for Vaughn and his antics.

44. Liar Liar


My Take: This trailer could have been a lot funnier and used a lot of other scenes and lines but what I like about it is that it didn't try too hard or go too far. It gave you what you needed and more than explained the plot. You know what you're in for with Jim Carrey, with his comedic pedigree. A solid trailer that again wasn't spectacular but didn't need to be. The best stuff is in the movie so watch it.

43. Inception

My Take: This trailer is exactly why I didn't want to see the movie in the first place. I don't get it. Makes zero sense to me. Now granted, I have seen the movie now and understand it somewhat but this trailer is confusing as all hell. Again though, this movie can't be summarized in 2 minutes so it does well to capture the great scenes and special effects without giving away too much and giving the viewer a headache in trying to figure out the plot.

42. Knocked Up


My Take: This is how you put together a good comedy trailer. Each and every scene in this trailer is funny. It flows from start to finish. You get a feel for the main characters and funny glimpses at some of the supporting characters. Has a great beginning and a hilarious ending. Not sure how anyone who saw this trailer didn't want to see this movie.

41. Four Brothers


My Take: I told you in the post, the acting is horrible. Well, you get an idea of that in this trailer. Yikes. Beyond that though, like the way it's put together. Used some of the best lines ("Bang on a few doors, knock on the devil's door") and showed as little of Andre 3000 and Tyrese talking as possible. Love the words near the end, hitting hard about how complex the movie is but how it all comes back to brotherhood.

Easily the best set of trailers I've seen so far in making this list. It was tough to rank them 1-10 but here goes:

1. Knocked Up
2. Groundhog Day
3. Liar Liar
4. (500) Days of Summer
5. Wedding Crashers
6. Tin Cup
7. Four Brothers
8. Air Force One
9. She's All That
10. Inception

Don't forget, my list-making comrade Luke is posting the trailers from his 41-50 movies on his blog. Check back here for my reaction to those movies later in the week.

Until next time loyal readers, Hakuna Matata.

No comments: