Well, this is late. Oops. Not gonna lie, either thought I did this already or forgot. Probably because this is a very unmemorable set of movies from Luke. Well, that may be a strong word as he actually does have some good movies within this set of ten but also a couple of head-scratchers. And of course, a few movies I haven't had the fortune (or misfortune) of seeing yet.
#40 Saw
-- I have seen every movie in this franchise and am glad I did because like to think these movies are more than just horror and gore. Instead, it is a bit of a thinking man's movie and in a way, inspires you to do good in your life. And more importantly, what I like about all the Saw movies is that it keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout but at the end, if you're confused on what transpired, it breaks it all down for you in a fast-paced 2 minute sequence. With that said, I think Saw 3 is far and away the best in this series. It almost made my list. This is not terrible by any means. If it was, I would not have ventured to see Saw 2. But the third to me is hands down the best of the series.
#39 Uncle Buck
-- I don't even remember when I first saw this movie. But I remember everything about it. A quality selection that I knew would make Luke's list. we've had too many discussions about this movie for it not to. Love the acting , love the premise, love the comedy. A lot to like...so much so, you may see it on my blog soon. Yeah, that's a tease.
#38 The Sixth Sense
-- A movie I've thought about watching all the way through but never got to it. Seen bits and pieces on TBS or TNT but never actually made it a point to catch the whole thing. For one thing, the trailer and "I see dead people" got overplayed for me that I got turned off from wanting to watch it. And then, I heard the twisted ending of the movie which pretty much makes me not wanna see it all now. But maybe I will someday. Can't fully judge Luke on this pick so I'll stop here.
#37 The Greatest Game Ever Played
-- There is one reason alone why I don't want to see this movie: Shia LaBeouf. Can't buy him playing this role, let alone any role. I know Luke has been quoting this movie ever since he saw it and I respect that wise line ("read it, roll it, hole it") but I have a feeling that's the best part of this movie. Disney has a way of ruining great sports moments (Remember the Titans, Miracle, etc..) by over dramatizing things. The trailer for this movie looks like this movie does the exact same thing. If this is a book, I'd read it. But as a movie, no thanks.
#36 Ali
-- I'm gonna keep this one short. Haven't seen it. Been told by Luke to see it NUMEROUS times. Will see it soon. Moving on.
#35 The Big Lebowski
-- Maybe it's just me but I don't go crazy over this movie like others. Didn't the first time I saw it or the second time. Even watching it with people who swear by it didn't help. As Luke states, the plot is non-existent. I'm pretty sure that's exactly why I don't like the movie. You can have great characters but the movie needs to have some semblance of a plot for it to move along. Thanks but no thanks on this one.
#34 The Legend of Bagger Vance
-- Seen it and will be just fine never seeing it again. I actually fell asleep watching this movie, a sure sign I either was bored by the movie or someone slipped a sleeping pill into something I ate/drank earlier in the day. I am a Will Smith fan and he's not bad here. But I don't buy his character. Matt Damon also is a favorite of mine, but also don't buy him here. The story is admirable but the movie is slow. I wish I liked this movie because I really want to but nope, not happening. Sorry Luke.
#33 Signs
-- Really? I mean, I haven't seen it, but really? I don't know about this selection. The fact that it made it this high on Luke's list makes me almost think about seeing it but ever since I saw the trailer and the fact that Mel Gibson was in it, I was turned off. Movies about aliens aren't my favorite concept ever either, though one of those kinds of movies is high on my list. I'm not sure I'm buying into Luke's take. I'll side with Mama Florence and Josh on this one.
#32 Cinderella Man
-- Had an opportunity to see this movie in my sports film class but passed over it to instead see "Million Dollar Baby". I'm not angry with that decision but I do wish I would have taken the time to just simply see both. I'm not the biggest fan of sports movies but something about the sport of boxing is different. It's such a personal sport and doesn't require a ton of movie magic to recreate scenes. Instead, it just takes great acting and a great story and from all I've heard and from Luke writes, you get both of that in this movie. I'll add this movie to the list of ones I need to see before we do these lists again.
#31 Gran Torino
-- Hard to argue with any Clint Eastwood selection...so I'm not. I have not seen this movie and never wanted to except for the fact that Eastwood stars and directs it. That's mainly because I never knew what the hell the movie was about. After reading Luke's post, I am intrigued. Can;t fault him for putting this movie this high either if it conjures up thoughts of family. Well done sir.
Alright, 30 more movies to go on Luke's list. Can't wait to see what he reveals. I hope you feel the same way.
Until next time, Hakuna Matata.
No comments:
Post a Comment