Well not only have we reached the halfway point in the countdown of my top 100 movies, but also the halfway point in finding out my favorite trailer among my top 100 movies. So far, have a lot of good contenders. Not sure this is the best batch ever but again, I'm only looking for the best so no big deal if the trailer stinks. I know the movie doesn't.
60. The Blindside
My Take: Great trailer. Tugs at your heart in just 2 minutes. You get a feel for the story flow. You immediately understand the change in not only Michael Oher's life, but Leslie Tuohy's too. Plus, well done picking The Fray's "How To Save A Life" as the background song. Overall well done.
59. Brokeback Mountain
My Take: Solid trailer. It's not easy to make this movie into a trailer. There is so much in this movie and so many small things you need to know before you know how to feel but you don't get the opportunity to share all those things in a trailer. This is about the best job they could have done. Good job of showcasing the talent and summarizing how it all plays out.
58. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
My Take: WAY TOO LONG for a trailer. I know the Titanic one was longer but it moved. This one just drags on. Granted they put in some music and go in order and all. But yikes, this was bad. Again, this movie is from 1971 so that may be how they did trailers then but yeah, not a huge fan of this one.
57. The Proposal
My Take: I was afraid for a bit that it wasn't going to include Betty White prominently but thankfully, the end did that. I like the trailer because you get a feel for the great chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. Plus, throw in a couple of the better scenes and you have a solid trailer. Not a fan of the Katy Perry selection though.
56. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
My Take: Pretty funny trailer. If you hadn't seen the movie, you get a feel for the type of comedy you are in for. Lot of crazy lines from a guy who has not figured out the 1990's yet. Not sure why they didn't add any of Dr. Evil, who I think is just as funny as Austin. All in all, it's funny but I would have liked more.
55. The Nutty Professor
My Take: Great movie, but just an okay trailer. Not nearly enough funny in it for me. Too much Buddy Love and not Sherman Klump and the Klump family at dinner. I do like the fact though that they make it a point to emphasize the hatred Sherman gets for being fat and why he feels the need to get skinny. But again, not enough funny for my liking.
54. Twister
My Take: Very interesting that this trailer does nothing in terms of character development/recognition but instead, focus solely on the tornado chasing and destruction. I'm not sure I would see the movie based on this trailer alone. Yes tornadoes are powerful, but they are not cool enough by themselves to showcase in a 2 minute trailer.
53. Shutter Island
My Take: Having seen the movie, this trailer is sufficient for my liking. But without seeing the movie, I remember seeing this trailer and thinking to myself, boy that looks confusing and kind of creepy. That's exactly how I felt now. Not saying this trailer wouldn't appeal to others but not appealing to me at all.
52. The Girl Next Door
My Take: Just an okay trailer. This movie is not laugh-out-loud funny so I can understand not wanting to put all the bets jokes in there. You know, leave them wanting more theory. But it could have been a bit faster paced and included one or two more scenes that stand out from the movie.
51. Thank You For Smoking
My Take: Good trailer. A little character development as you get to know Nick Naylor, his arguing style, and his attempt to market cigarettes to any and everyone. You also get a feel for the conflicts that will arise. All in all, a solid trailer.
So now that I've watched them all, time to rank 'em in order.
1. The Blind Side
2. Austin Powers
3. Thank You For Smoking
4. The Nutty Professor
5. The Proposal
6. Brokeback Mountain
7. The Girl Next Door
8. Twister
9. Shutter Island
10. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
So halfway through, got a lot of great trailers that I can't wait to rank at the end. For now though, sticking to entire films. Later this week, I'll have my reaction to Luke's latest list and the hope is for one more post but we'll see.
Hakuna Matata.
No comments:
Post a Comment