Monday, July 07, 2008

The First Full Week

Whew! It's over. My first full week of working in the real world is done. So what did I learn? A TON.

1. Working from 2:30pm-11:35 isn't that bad. I had reservations about this schedule first. I mean, nightlife is somewhat shot when you get off work at that time. You can't even get to the establishment until midnight and getting drunk in two hours is not an option when you have no ride home. But after working the schedule for the past week, I'm really enjoying it. I get to wake up late, which for me is around 10am. That way, I can shower and stuff before The Price Is Right at 11am. After that, it depends on what I feel like doing. This week, it was watching Wimbledon. Next week, probably head to the driving range or work out at the gym. By time I leave for work around 2pm, I'm in a great mood, relaxed and ready to go. When I get off work, I can still go out for a couple or come back and hit the web.

2. Keeping in touch is easier than I thought. I wondered how well I would be able to stay in touch with friends once I got my first job, let alone move 10 hours from home. I know the internet helps everything but I didn't know it'd be this easy. Even during the "busiest" times at my job, I have plenty of time to text back and forth. I check facebook and all my favorite websites all the time and track my fantasy team throughout the day. I have no qualms with calling friends after work either. Come on, who goes to sleep by midnight these days anyway? Plus, I can update my blog more frequently...and I know you are enjoying that

3. Not living in a college town SUCKS. I told myself I wanted to live in a college town so that I would be around people my age. Well looking back, man, wish I would have. It didn't dawn on me until I had some conversations with my co-workers. They were telling me about the "scene" here and honestly, they weren't very complimentary of the city. They mentioned that the students that are here don't party or go out because they study too much (FYI: Medical College of Georgia is in Augusta). To go along with that, there's no real strip of places to go. They're really spread out and the cab situation in the city isn't the best. Plus, without a big college scene, you don't get those acts that may roll through a college campus like a RENT or John Legend.

4. Going out to the establishments every night is not an option anymore. I kinda figured this one before I even started working but now that I have started, I can put the thought completely by the wayside. It's not the effect on the body that concerns me. It's the money. Yes, me talking about money. The prices down here aren't bad at all either but I'm living alone now. I'm also 10 hours away from home and things I need now cost a bit more. It's kind of a scary thought. So trust me, if I go out hard even twice a week now, then it's a special week.

5. Having just one job is a welcome change. This one is a big deal to me. At OU, I was working 3-5 jobs, depending on the quarter and that really took its toll on me. I loved every one of the jobs (why else would I work that many?) but no doubt, I was spreading myself too thin. Instead of being able to put 100% behind one job, I was putting 70-80% effort into each. Plus, I am a naturally very forgetful person. So trying to manage that many jobs and the responsibilities that come with them was tough. So being able to just have one job is wonderful. I can concentrate fully on it and instead of thinking about something 24/7 because the jobs weren't exactly M-F, I can cherish the 2 days off I get and not worry or wonder about my job. Which brings me to my final point...

6. Days off are wonderful. It's funny that I think this now because at OU, a day off for me was having my shift cancelled due to rain. And then what did I do? Just head to the bar earlier. I mean, I was prolly gonna anyways. But now, a day off for me is truly relaxing. It means go to the driving range or play a round of golf. Or go to the mall or check out a movie. It could also mean chill at my place and play Guitar Hero. The point of this is that anything goes. There's zero pressure to go anywhere like there was at OU (bars). In the future, I plan to take trips to Valdosta or Statesboro to visit friends, Atlanta to check out a sporting event or concert, and Savannah and Hilton Head just for a beach getaway (though I'm the not the biggest beach fan). Plus, putting the two days together just makes it that much better, giving me all the more time to not think about anything related to work. Yea, it's not on the actual weekend but working at the station on the weekend is great. It's a lot quieter and there are a ton of sporting events to watch. Not to mention also the establishments aren't packed during the week. There's a crowd but not a huge one...and that's fine by me.

So yea, I've learned a little bit. Nothin philosophical or anything and no real advice for you the reader. I just wanted to let you know that in just one week though, I've matured a little and learned a lot. Now time for me to enjoy my two days off. What am I gonna do? I have no clue....and that's what so great. HAKUNA MATATA

No comments: