Thursday, July 10, 2008

13 Day Work Marathon - Day 2

(Author's Note: This is the 2nd in a 2-week long series of what I am doing during my 13 straight days of work)

The goal for this morning: wake up at 9:30am and go work out. The reality: wake up at 12:30pm and disappoint myself. Eh well, couple episodes of Home Improvement lift my pathetic spirits and my day goes on.

After a sweaty day yesterday of hanging around a gold course, I was hoping for something different today. Of course, I knew that wasn't to be. The final round of the tournament was today so there was no getting around it. I head to the station and of course, head right back out to the golf course. I know my way this time so it's a bit faster. As I drive, I notice the clouds are kinda dark around me. I'm hoping and praying it doesn't rain. It would just ruin the flow of the day. I had plans. Finish the golf tournament stuff, take it back to the station, get some quick grub and then work on my first package (a minute and 30 second story) on a softball team. But it was not to be.

The rain, thunder and lightning came right when I got there. Play was suspended and was not going to start again until Thor said so. (Quick aside...Thor is the same system that OUIM had to use for its fields. I hate it, despise it and resent the damn thing) So to pass the time by, I interviewed the presumptive winner of the girls competition (up 13 strokes with one hole to go. She would hafta Tin Cup the hole to lose) and 2 local guys who were out of the hunt but still needed for an interview. The rain delay is really boring all in all, plus, I'm getting really hungry. Probably should've packed an apple.

The rain delay doesn't end before I have to get back to the station and edit the video for the 6pm. I pull into the station to hear only that things are crazy there. The power has gone out twice, the station's tower was hit by lightning and half of the computers don't work. Instead of actually having to edit my video in a time crunch, my sports director scares the hell outta me just to say that the golf has resumed and he wants me to head out there for the ending. So I haul ass and make it just in time to see the final groups finish. After a brief awards ceremony, I interview the winner and head for the station.

I hadn't eaten since 1pm so I stop by Raising Canes (fav place to eat so far). I get to the station, edit my stuff and head for home. What seemed like a long work day wa really only about 7 hours, with about an hour of it in a car and 5 hours on a golf course. And of those 5 hours, 2 hours were spent standing underneath an overhang of a golf club cottage, looking at the skies and talking to AJGA (American Junior Golf Association) interns. So really, not that bad.

WHAT I LEARNED TODAY: I learned a few things today as well. First off, rain can be great at times and terrible at times. Today, it was a mix. It stunk at first, as I thought about the lack of video I would be bringing back. But it was a blessing as well, as it gave me time to get more highlights for the 11pm. Another thing I learned today is that you know, my hours may be awkward to those of you who like the conventional 9-5 but I really enjoyed the fact that today, I woke up at 12:30pm, went to work at 2:30pm, got off at 9:45pm and was back at home by 10pm and feel like I did something. Yea, it was just golf highlights, but for the people of Augusta and the golfers, this is a big deal and I'm proud to bring the highlights to them. This actually is a very rewarding job. Showing people what they want to see when many times they wouldn't be able to is a great feeling. I am providing a great service and as I continue here in GA, I hope every day I feel this same way.

2 down, 11 to go. Hakuna Matata

No comments: