After two glorious days of nothing, it was back to the grind today. The goal for me was to wake up at 10am and get to the Y to work out. Instead, I woke up at 10am, unknowingly fell back to sleep and woke up to Drew Carey yelling at how close a contestant came to getting $1 on the Big Wheel. Yep, no Y for me. Maybe tomorrow.
So I leave for work at 2:15, get there at 2:30 and wouldn't ya know it, I walk in just to walk right out to go cover a golf tournament. Now, I assumed I would be covering this event. I though though I'd get more than 3 minutes at the station before I left. So after driving 15 minutes to work, I drive the same way I came and more to get to Champion Retreat Golf Club. And before I go on about my day, let me attempt to draw a picture of this place. The houses are huge...and I mean huge. To get to the neighborhood where the golf course is, you have to go through a guard gate. As any gate, it's some old retired guy who just gives you a wave as the gate goes up so real safe in there I presume. As I drive to the course, I see 5 different landscaping vans, all at 5 different houses to do the yardwork that lazy rich people don't want to. When I get to the golf course, nice cars are everywhere, including my News 12 Cruiser (PT Cruiser covered with station info for promotional purposes). And the biggest sign of me knowing I didn't belong, everyone is wearing khaki shorts that don't reach the top of their kneecaps, including the teenage golfers.
So the golf tournament today is a junior golf tournament. Most of the golfers range from 16-18 years old. My mission is to get highlights of two area golfers. I got there late (I got lost) but just in time to get the shots of the two area guys. Now, shooting (another word for filming for you non-TV folks) golf is not easy. You can't see the ball once it leaves the ground, especially on a sunny day. Well, today was tough. The sun was shining, I was sweating and above all, it was my first time. The putting part was pretty easy though. Since it was 95 degrees outside, I didn't stay too long. I was beginning to sweat through my khakis and other parts of clothing.
I got back and edited the highlights for the sports director. After he was done, it was time for dinner. That took 6 minutes at Wendy's...yea, I will eat healthier as time goes on. Once I get back, my job for the rest of the night is to write out the weekly high school football schedules. Tedious and absolute bitch work? Obviously. But is it necessary? Absolutely. Plus, I was in A/C so tough to complain. I get of work early, around 10:20pm and head home to my too-large complimentary apartment and end up right here.
WHAT I LEARNED TODAY: Well, people have always told me that you learn something new everyday. Well, I decided during these 13 days, I would share a little something (or two) that I learned. Today, I learned a few things. One, I learned that I need to take a sweat towel with me when I am going to be outside in 90-degree weather at all times. No excuses. No one wants to be interviewed by a guy who looks like he is about to melt away to Hershey's chocolate syrup. I also learned just how wealthy this community is. Kind of made me think about my future and if I would ever want to love in a house that big. After living in the house I've lived in for my whole life, I have no idea how I would be able to even fill a house the size of the ones I saw. But it does give me something to aspire to, because if I can afford a house like them, then I must be doing pretty well. The final thing I learned is that I need to step my game up. If I am going to be a successful sports broadcaster, I need to start doing my homework a little better and find some sweet stories. In other words, I'm putting the pressure on myself. I always aspire to do my best but I've noticed that I'm being a bit complacent. With 12 days left in my marathon (with 10 of them with me on the anchor desk), it's time to show Augusta what I've got.
1 down, 12 to go. Hakuna Matata
No comments:
Post a Comment