Alright folks, I can see the finish line. I am smell the sleeping in (on purpose) and can taste the driving range. I can feel the sense of freedom and hear the sounds of getting stuff done around my place. Think I covered all five senses there.
Today was another slow morning. The gradual wake up as usual. It's easy to do with the British Open because golf is a naturally boring sport so it's easy to watch when half-awake because that's about as conscious as you need to be. Most of the gallery is anyways. I get up and really get ready around noon and leave the place around 1:30pm. For today, I have to head to the Savannah River and cover the richest drag boat race in the country. The Augusta Southern Nationals. I figure get a soundbite from a driver and some quick video and that'll be plenty once I add the British Open and some generic baseball.
So I head over to the river and let me set up the picture for you. This thing resembles the fair in terms of concessions. All the good Southern food with sweet tea and lemonade galore. Canopy tents and camping chairs are everywhere and shade is at a premium if you forgot your tent. Most guys are shirtless, no matter thier size (and even race for that matter) and the ladies are donning bathing suits. The temperature is around 95 and not a cloud in sight. The breeze helps a little but not really. The humidity pushes the heat index up, meaning it feels more like 100+ degrees. And all of this with me holding a camera and in a polo. And sweating profusely.
After grabbing some video of a couple racers, I seek out my first (and only due to my sweating) driver for an interview. I find one and ask him some questions. He's a real nice guy and great interview. But as I interview him, I continue sweating as if I'm a 400 lb guy on my first day on "The Biggest Loser". The guys asks me twice if I want water, as if I'm gonna pass out. I assure him that I'm fine and just sweat like it's my job. In the end, I'm practically too embarrassed to sweat and carry on with my day as a representative of my station. So I head back with my one interview, though making a package out of this thing would've been easy.
The 6pm cast goes fine, including showing a Manny Ramirez play in the outfield that just has us all cracking up on set. We all knew it was coming but re-living that moment live on air was apparently too much for us. After the cast and a microwave dinner, it's off to the ballpark for the Greenjackets game. As usual, I try to get there early so I can just get highlights and go. Well today, it backfired. By the end of the fifth, there is no score and 4 hits between the two teams, and all 4 from the Greenjackets. So now I have two thoughts: 1. Leave and use strikeouts and groundouts and go with the pitcher's duel theme or 2. Stay and maybe see history if the Greenjackets pitcher throw a no-hitter. Well, within one out, I get a third answer. With one out, a hitter on the other team hits a solo shot. I don't get the best video because I am on the phone with a friend at the same time (I was bored as all hell and needed to catch up) and it's a bit out of focus. Doesn't matter though...I'm leaving. I do run the risk of missing a comeback but really, I had been there for 90 minutes. I'm good.
I get back to the station to see the Braves are losing (no surprise) and see 15 minutes later that the Greenjackets lost 1-0. I breathe a sigh of relief because I didn't stay for more worthless pitching and (lack of) hitting. I even find out the visiting team only had 2 hits, but it was just one they needed. And as an added bonus, the homer isn't that bad. The cast is easy to do...I just tweak the 6pm for some new intros and soundbites. We have a good time on air as usual and I bounce from the place immediately when it's over cause I am craving something sweet. Figure why not try the strawberry Frosty shake. It's actually really good. May be a treat for me after a good show.
WHAT I LEARNED TODAY: Well, I think it hit me today that I need to introduce myself to the people in this area. I was watching the other sportscasters at the game (and when I was on the phone) and saw them chatting it up with people. It's not like I was jealous or anything but I just was thinking I may want to start making myself more recognizable. One thing that would help is a polo with my station's logo on it. I also could just introduce myself and say I'm new to the area. In fact, the GM of the baseball team did that for me today, telling me he'd like to take me to lunch. Nice gesture from a guy who probably is busy with a team but he understands the media needs to be his friend and I'm more than willing to market my station and myself to help out. Something for me to work on in the coming weeks before high school football season really gets going and then it's Gridiron Glory: Augusta Style. Another thing I learned is just how young I am. Seems like everyone I meet here is 24-25. Yea, that's not old but man, I feel like a little kid. Maybe when I hit 22 next week, I'll feel older cause right now, not only am I the rookie/newbie/new hire/new sports guy, I'm the new kid on the block...and it feels like it. Eh well, it still makes me feel good to think that if I do leave this city after 2 years, I'll only be 23 and hopefully, moving to a bigger city or closer to home (or both). And then, it's a whole new world.
11 down, 2 to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment