I can't believe it. I only have one day left in this thing. And while I cannot wait to get that day off, I am going to miss doing these blogs at 2:30am. It became a ritual almost for me. Oh well...I really want that day off.
Another slow morning. Waking up gradually while watching Greg Norman blow the British Open. That tournament went from one to tell my kids about to just another player winning a major because Tiger wasn't there. You can't tell me that Tiger would not have beasted in condition like that. That's just what he does. So after watching the end, I leave for work around 2pm, so getting there early but not getting there crazy early like other days.
The plan for the day is to get some video of the drag boat racing and use that in the 6pm cast. Then, get the baseball game's ending since it has a 5:35pm start time. So I head to the river and yea, it's hot again. I mean, unbearable. How people can just sit there in the sun (or shade) and just watch boats fly by without really knowing any of these racers is just beyond me. I mean, it's exciting for about 10 minutes but 7 hours of it? A bit much. Since getting a driver is almost out of the question since they are racing all day and for money now, I get some quick video and get out of the heat. I even brought a sweat towel with me but after a while, wiping the sweat off your face with a towel wet with sweat just doesn't help. Plus, this event is nowhere as compelling as I thought it would be before the weekend. Unlike the Peach Jam, there's not a real story that pops up. Plus, it's just too damn hot. I knew it would be too when as I was driving to work, it said 101 on a lighted sign. Never appreciated A/C more.
So I get back to the station and put it all together. Braves play early so that gives me something plus the British Open stuff is a great filler. I still am a little light so I add the Tour De France. I mean, it does end next week so someone might care (I know, no one does). Cast goes fine on air though I did stumble over a word and instead of just stopping, I let out a big BLEH. Yea, kind of embarrassing but I found it funny...as did my other anchors. When the show is over, I begin thinking about the 11pm and tomorrow's cast. I have to start doing that now because I found out last week, the weekdays are slow. So I figure to fill time tomorrow, I'll interview a player after the game since it is ending early. As I listen to the game on the radio, I hear that today is game 99. BANG. And there's a story for tomorrow!
I get out to the ballgame around 7:45pm. Figure to get the last 2-3 innings. Not too worried about highlights since my cast only needs 20 seconds filled so even the final two outs would work for me. Of course, it's humid so I still sweat though the temp is down to about 80-ish degrees. I get lucky and get three runs while there so I get highlights anyways. (Quick aside: They are playing the single-A team of the Indians. I'm not impressed with the future Tribe players). Game ends with a 7-2 Greenjackets victory and that means players will be more than willing to talk. I get the manager first who is less than thrilling on camera but has some great sound bites. I grab two players younger than me (I know, hard to believe huh?) because I wanna make sure they are playing in their first full season (140 games). I ask the players about playing this long of a season, the heat, and the alternatives to playing baseball. Both give me great stuff and when I leave, I feel good about the story I'm going to put together tomorrow.
Of course, it's too good to be true. I forget to white-balance the camera for the interviews so the coach and players are blue. I try color correcting the video immediately so I can at least know whether or not if I will need to come in earlier than usual to think of something else. After some tinkering, I find the right combination that makes the video usable. I'm not overly happy but it will do. Plus, I just will count on more video of actual games and less on the sound. That's the good thing about sound. It only needs to be seen once and after that, it can just be heard. I calm down a bit, finish preparing my cast and get ready for the 11pm. Cast goes well though it does end with a funny moment. The story is about a nudist community in Portland, Oregon. It's what we call in the TV biz, a "kicker". Something funny to end the show and talk about until we sign off. Well, in this one, we all saw our lines and then our main anchor talks about their activities include kayaking, canoeing, tennis and fly-fishing. She then continues to say "so make sure you bring your pole". Now, me and the weather guy just start cracking up but she is completely lost. Oh, good times on the weekend. Our ratings should be going through the roof.
WHAT I LEARNED TODAY: Well, besides learning that my sweating out of control is getting well, out of control, I learned just how fortunate I have been in this work marathon. I had a prominent AAU tournament, a drag boat event, Greenjackets at home, an MLB all-star game, and two people call me for story ideas I used. And then today, hearing that 99-game stat on the radio just gave me one more idea. They say luck is when preparation meets opportunity and I agree with it. I was ready to do stories. I just needed the opportunity and so far, so good. I also learned today that these minor league baseball players are geniunely good guys. Since they make about much money as I do and are the same age, they don't have an ego yet. They know their careers are just in the baby stage and most of them aren't getting to the big leagues. I think it'd be kind of cool to hang out with them for a couple days and learn what they go through. Maybe a story idea for next year since they only have 40 games left. Finally, I learned something else about being on TV here in Augusta. But I will leave that moment on my Facebook. Make sure you read and leave your input. It would be greatly appreciated.
12 down, 1 TO GO!
No comments:
Post a Comment