I can't believe that I've made it this far and haven't lost my mind yet. I read the 8 blogs before this one and though about how much crap I've gone through and how much stuff I've learned and it was almost enough to make my head blow. WOW...not too bad.
So today was an early start, about 9:30am. I wanted to wake up early to get some stuff done around the apartment, like put up a shower curtain. By time I left my place at 11:45pm, that's about all I actually did around the apartment. I'll wait until a day off to really be productive. I leave at 11:45pm because I have to pick up credentials for the drag boat races that go on over the weekend. The press conference that precedes my picking them up is long and boring but it's a part of the job. Plus, I get a free lunch (2 hamburgers and some Coke). After picking up my credentials, it's back to the station to start working on the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) story. As I knew yesterday, the sound was less than stellar so it takes a bit longer than a usual package but I make it work to be somewhat decent. Again, you can be the judge by going on the website and checking it out. The annoying part of editing the thing was that I got moved from Edit Bay 2 to 1 then to 3 and then back to 2. That's kind of annoying when you are trying to finish a story. The 6pm gets finished with some British Open highlights and the cast goes well on air.
Immediately after finishing, it's off to Midland Valley High School to get some video of an area softball team that is heading to the World Series. Just like the MMA story, I am shooting this for the next day to use as a package. The girls are just silly...you know, that "I just turned a teenager and think I'm still cute but it's actually annoying to everyone else" phase. But at least they are perky and provide some good sound. Should be an easy edit tomorrow. The video should be pretty good too. Of all the things I need to work on, that's the biggest thing so I mix up some shots. Hope it comes out well.
After the shoot, it's over to the Greenjackets game for some baseball. I grab a few highlights and leave right after the hairy back contest. Trust me, you would have too. It's a shame they did the hairy back contest tonight too. It was Thirsty Thursday at the ballpark...in other words, 12 oz cups of beer for a buck. Oh, how I wish I wasn't working today. The cast is easy to write since the MMA package takes up half of it so that's easy. The best part though is when I decide to use the hairy back contest as the first thing in my cast. It freaks out my female anchor and makes my male anchor laugh his head off...all while I try to call highlights. It is so funny they decide to use the hairy back shot as the closing shot of the newscast. Really? A hairy back? What is wrong with my station...
WHAT I LEARNED TODAY: Honestly, I didn't learn too much today. It was the kind of day where everything just went smooth. I was never really in a time crunch. I go everything done and then some. Posted some stuff to the web and set up the stuff for Friday and the weekend. I think what that teaches me though is that I'm really getting the hang of this sports anchoring thing at News 12. After a couple weeks of learning everything, I think I've got it down. How fast I can get things done. How creative I can get with my intros. All of these things are starting to come into place. Whether I get in at 1pm like today or 4pm like a day ago, I can get my job done. Not only that, but I am feel like I am really becoming a member of the News 12 family by working all these days. Everyone has to see my face pretty much all day and all have commented to me about how hard I've been working. That's a good feeling, especially for a guy from the northern half of the U.S. and who knows no one in the city. These people and this station are growing on me. It kind of reminds me of how OU grew on me after the end of Fall Quarter. At first, it was just a place to learn more stuff and meet some people but it slowly grew into a home. I'm not saying Augusta is even close to that but it is becoming a bit more comfy...and it hasn't even been a month yet.
9 down, 4 to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment