You know, life is crazy. I went from the day I loved (my best package), to a bland day (yesterday), to maybe the worst day so far of my professional life (today). It all started at 3:45pm. Yea, 3:45pm, when I woke up! That's not good, especially when I am supposed to be at work at 2:30pm and plan to work on a package on that darn behind the scenes of the Peach Jam. I still don't know how I slept 13 hours and over an alarm. When I woke up, I had no doubt that it maybe noon or maybe even 1pm, but 3:45! I freaked, running around, cussing up a storm. And then, to show just how crazy this marathon is making me, I can't find my keys. I'm already wearing the same pants as yesterday and a wrinkled polo. I open my front door and there they are. YIKES. Good thing my place is next to only one more door and not a ton cause that was asking for an intruder.
As I drive to work, my asst. news director calls me wondering if I am okay. I tell him the situation and he seems sympathetic, understanding that I have been working my butt off this week and only being 3 weeks into the job. When I get to work, my news director feels bad as well, saying I must have really needed sleep. I think they both understand how tired I am getting and they don't even know about the move from one apartment to the other. I'm not 100% sure that some kind of punishment or talking to is coming but if not, then I dodged a bullet. Besides, I guess my punishment is trying to produce a cast in less than 2 hours. Thankfully, I have a press conference shot by someone in news that I can use and the British Open. The stuff sent by CNN is about Tiger not being there which is an easy way t fill over a minute so I do. The cast goes swimmingly and no one would have even known I came into my own newsroom scared as heck for my cast and my job.
After the cast, it's off to the Mixed Martial Arts place to do a story. I get there 5 minutes later than I said and then find out, I have no tape. GREAT. I head back to the station , grab it and then drive back. By then, they're well into training so I have now missed my opportunity to get interviews with anyone. Well, thankfully, he gives me about 5 minutes during a break and well, let's just say the interviews are less than thrilling. I've got my work cut out for me tomorrow for sure.
After the MMA thing, I head to the minor league baseball game around 8:50. No doubt it's only in the 6th or 7th inning. Welp, nope. Instead, how about the bottom of 8 and the home team winning! I dodge another bullet and at least get a strikeout, deep flyout and the final strikeout. That works just fine with me and head back to the station. My stuff gets done late like last week but considering my day, I'm happy.
The night ends with me checking my e-mail and seeing the e-mail that lady said she would send. Instead of my news director, she sends it to my GM but hopefully, it gets to her. It kinda puts the whole day into perspective.
WHAT I LEARNED TODAY: Well, besides learning that my body can sleep nonstop for 13 hours, I learned that there are gonna be bad days. The trick is to just get through them and trudge on. And I mean bad days like this. Showing up to work 90 minutes late is bad enough but even worse when you just got the job. But you know, I made it work. I got stuff done and did my job. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna be late for a long time but for now, I feel alright. The fact that I could get my job done today with no help and in half the time I'm used to is a great feeling. It showed me how far I have come from that freshman at OU who couldn't find the power button on the camera. I can now put together a full sportscast in about an hour, edit all the video and make it work on camera. Not bad Matt, not bad.
8 down, 5 to go
No comments:
Post a Comment