Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Matt's Top 100 Movies: Luke's List (91-100)

As you probably know by now, I am not embarking on this list-making journey by myself. I am doing it alongside my good friend Luke, who has posted his first ten movies on his blog. If you haven't had the time to see his #91-100 movies, please do so before you even read this one.

That's because this post is simply my reaction to his list. I'll make this a weekly feature here on the blog. Though this is probably more for Luke and I than anyone else, we figured why not post it for those who know us both and get our opinions of each other's movie list.

Now while I will share my honest opinion of the placement of the movies on Luke's list, I do not plan on disclosing whether a movie is or is not on my list and where. I will do my best though in my reactions to not give away if the movie did in fact make my list. That may be hard though if I want to give my honest opinion. That said though, if I haven't seen the movie, you'll know it's not on my list.

Luke's #100: That Thing You Do
-- Not really sure what to think of this movie. I haven't seen this movie and after watching the trailer (posted on Luke's blog), not sure I really want to. I am a BIG fan of Tom Hanks, so that would be a reason to see it but the premise of the movie doesn't really suit my tastes. Luke's take of it being funny and unique though do fit my tastes so maybe I'd find it enjoyable.

Luke's #99: Remember The Titans
-- As I wrote in my post, I'm not a big fan of sports movies. I just don't like the way they portray the real events in movies. They change them for the sake of entertainment when they don't need to. Sports are dramas and comedies in themselves and don't need adding too. That's how I feel about Remember the Titans. The acting is great and there are some great scenes. It also is a good movie when it comes to addressing racism issues and coming together. But yeah, I've never been a huge fan as others have been and apparently, neither is Luke for it to barely crack his top 100.

Luke's #98: The Life of David Gale
-- Call me crazy but I've never even heard of this movie. And since it came out in 2003, I;m kind of surprised I don't remember it at all. But after watching the trailer and reading about it a bit, it is definitely a movie I want to check out. I am not a Kevin Spacey by any means so that's a detraction for sure but the plot looks too strong and if Luke says the ending won't let me down (a problem with movies with strong plots sometimes), then I have a feeling I would enjoy this movie.

Luke's #97: Twister
-- Easily one of the best action pictures of our time. As Luke said, the special effects of Twister now look outdated but then in 1996, they were amazing. This is still a movie that when it comes on, I have to pause and at least catch a bit of it. The acting by no means is worthy awards but the star of the movie is the action. The tornadoes, the science of them, the thrill of chasing them. It's a solid movie and glad it made Luke's list.

Luke's #96: Mission: Impossible
-- Knowing Luke, I'd be surprised if this movie didn't make it. This is a thinking man's movie and that is what Luke is (when he wants to be). Completely agree with him in that it's a movie you need/want to see more than once to make sure you got every detail. The action sequences were well done and the movie does move.

Luke's #95: Zombieland
-- Never seen this movie and never wanted to see this movie. And despite what Luke wrote, still don;t want to see this movie. It just looks stupid. It may be funny. It may be entertaining. But the trailer makes the movie look awful in my mind. I am a Woody Harrelson fan and a big Bill Murray fan but I don't know about this selection. But again, tough to judge without actually seeing the film.

Luke's #94: Philadelphia
-- I've been told by Luke to see this movie for a couple years. And like a good friend, I have not. It's been on my list of movies to watch for awhile now and for a few reasons. First, heard nothing but great reviews. Secondly, it won Academy Awards for a reason. And finally, I am a huge fan of Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington. For them both to be in the same movie and with a plot that I find very intriguing, I know I need to see this movie sooner rather than later. But I am surprised it is this low on Luke's list.

Luke's #93: K-Pax
-- Really? More Kevin Spacey? Again, I don't like his acting so it shocks me to see a movie he stars in make 2 appearances already. I have not seen this movie as well but wouldn't mind watching it. The trailer doesn't excite me but it doesn't detract me from watching the movie either. As Luke mentions, he likes movies that make him question/think but I am surprised to see so many of those kinds of movies already.

Luke's #92: Milk

-- Speaking of that, here's an example. I've wanted see Milk for a while now and have yet to do it. But I guarantee that I would like it. I'm a fan of movies that fight for a cause and that's what Milk does. I know the acting will be good with actors like Sean Penn, James Franco, and Josh Brolin in the cast. And having seen the trailer and heard about the story of Harvey Milk, I am sure it is a movie that would crack my top 100, and probably higher than #92.

Luke's #91: O Brother Where Art Thou?
-- Another movie I have not seen...well, kind of. I've seen bits and pieces and yeah, not a fan. George Clooney is not my favorite actor and to have him have an accent and play a role that I would never believe makes me think just how much I would hate this movie. I've also heard the soundtrack and not a big fan of that either. Sorry Luke, but this movie would have no chance to make my list.

That's all for my reaction to Luke's list so far. I'm excited to see what movies he has coming next and I hope you feel the same. Check both our blogs come Monday (or Tuesday) for our latest group of ten.

Until then, Hakuna Matata.

No comments: