Sunday, July 24, 2011

Matt's Top 100 Movies: Luke's List (81-90)


20 movies are in the books for both Luke and I and couldn't be happier with our ability to actually put posts up in decent time. With that said, I nearly forgot to write this one so Luke (and all of you) know my feelings toward his list. Luke has already written his thoughts of my movies 81-90. You can read that here. As expected, Dante's Peak was his peak target. It actually was the peak target for a lot of my friends. But again, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to why I like a movie. And I expect the same belief from Luke.

Just like in his first ten, Luke has movies I loved, liked, outright hated or just haven't seen. I will again do my best to be honest about how I feel about the movie without giving it away whether or not it actually makes my list.

#90 A Beautiful Mind
-- A movie Luke has been telling me to see since I've known him. And like many things he tells me to do, I don't. Well, I do hope one day to see this movie because I do think I would find it entertaining. I like thinking man movies and this would be one of them for sure.

#89 Walk The Line
-- I had a discussion with a former roommate of mine about this movie years ago when he was telling me I hadn't seen enough "good" movies. I simply told him I never wanted to see this movie. I'm not doubting it's good. Just had no interest in hearing the story (or quite frankly the music) of Johnny Cash. Now am I missing out on a classic? Possibly. But I'll take that chance and watch a movie I actually have some interest in first.

#88 The Town
-- Haven't seen this either. I know, you're probably wondering what movies I actually have seen. This one came out when I was in Augusta and those were lean times when it came to movie watching. I never wanted to see this movie but Luke's description of it and the trailer intrigue me. Unlike Luke, I am a Ben Affleck fan, both as an actor and writer. Yes, he's picked some bad ones but so have all the great, including one in the next movie on his list.

#87 Dumb and Dumber
-- When I was younger, I thought this movie was funny. Now every time I see it, I turn it off within 5 minutes. I just don't get it. It's not funny. It's almost too dumb. Jim Carrey is a funny guy already but in this movie, yikes. Instead of being well done, it's just burnt. I know a lot of people who quote this movie and love it, but I'm not one of them. Seeing this movie make Luke's top 100 with the caliber of movies he has been strutting out before this boggles me.

#86 Along Came Polly
-- Solid choice here. A different kind of comedy. Heck, you can even say romantic comedy. If you watch the trailer, you know what I mean. It's not boy meets girl per se. It's boy re-introduces himself to girl, who is nothing like he remembers or what he is comfortable with now but that may be what he needs. The acting is great here, led by supporting actor Philip Seymour Hoffman. His basketball scenes had me laughing like a wild banshee in the theater. No problem with this selection at all. It may (or may not) have made my list as well.

#85 12 Angry Men
-- This came out of nowhere. I knew we both have seen some old movies but wasn't sure any of them would make our list. For me, it's just hard to equate them to the movies of my lifetime. They are different in so many ways, most notably in the case of 12 Angry Men, not even shown in color. For me, that's a big sticking point. Lack of color = boredom. I know, terrible but true. Now I have not seen this movie but I have seen this play done by my high school drama program. I loved it then and am sure I would like the movie. So well done Luke...or should I say Big John.

#84 Secret Window
-- I not only have never seen this movie but pretty sure I've never heard of it. Honestly, I tried thinking back to 2004, my high school graduation year, and when this may have come out. Nothing. After watching the trailer, I know for sure I wouldn't want to see this movie. Not a big suspense thriller kind of guy. And the whole concept of some hick who wants to kill someone in a cabin in the woods, eh. It may be a good movie but I'll pass.

#83 The Terminal
-- I remember seeing this trailer then and thinking to myself, that'd be a cool movie to see when it gets out of theaters. In other words, movie I want to see but not willing to pay money to see it. The reason being that it has such an odd concept that may be great or be incredibly disappointing. But I should have known better with Tom Hanks being in it. He's an incredible actor with great range, and under the guidance of a director like Steven Spielberg, there's no way it could be bad. But I don't know. I've never seen it.

#82 I Love You, Man
-- I'm not sure I've seen a Paul Rudd movie I don't like, which makes me wonder why I never wanted to see this movie. The concept of it was just unrealistic that I never even thought of seeing this in or out of theaters. I mean, a guy can't think of one person to serve as his best man? Not one close friend or family member? Yeah, not buying it. The trailer did nothing for me either. I'm not saying this movie shouldn't be on Luke's list but I have a feeling it wouldn't make mine.

#81 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-- I'm gonna keep this short and simple. AWFUL MOVIE. The original is the favorite for most people for a reason. It doesn't scare or creep you out the entire time. I mean, the same guy playing ALL the oompa loompas? Yeah, Tim Burton single-handedly ruined a classic. He said he made the movie because the first one wasn't consistent enough with the original story. Well, that may be true but I don't think Roald Dahl would have liked this interpretation by any means.

So there you have it. Of the ten on Luke's list, I only saw 3 of them. And yes, 2 of them, I absolutely hated. I'm pretty sure if I had a top 25 list of least favorite films, they would be there. But that's the beauty of these lists. It's all about personal preference and I respect Luke's opinion whole-heartedly.

Movies 71-80 will be on the blog sometime Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Until then, Hakuna Matata.

No comments: