
Can't believe it but we are 30 movies deep into this countdown. Props to Luke for posting on time (he's known to not do so) and props to all who read our posts, considering I can think of nearly a million better things to do with your time. Anyways, another week, another breakdown of the good and bad movies Luke had on his list.
#80 The Blues Brothers
-- Well, I've never seen this movie and never really wanted to. Just nothing about it really thrills me. With that said, I've heard some decent things about it and the fact that it gets replayed a ton by TBS must say something about its quality. I am sure of one thing: I would love the music.
#79 Inside Man
-- Shocking: Denzel Washington playing some hard-nosed cop/detective/negotiator/lawyer. Some call him a one-trick pony but you know what, if you're good at it, keep on doing it. And in his case, he's great. Now I have not seen this movie but I am positive I would enjoy it. The main actors are all people I respect and the trailer really intrigues me. Definitely a movie I would watch if it comes on HBO soon and then call Luke and tell him it was a well-deserved selection on his list.
#78 Toy Story
-- I know Luke is giving me a lot of grief about animated movies but when a movie is good, it is good, whether it be animated or not. That's the case with Toy Story. It is just simply a great movie with a great story, great (voice) acting, and great music. Not one problem with the inclusion of this Disney classic at all. And I'm glad to see its stock is up as well because I also like to think this movie actually gets better with time.
#77 Home Alone
-- Another amazing selection. Like Luke, this movie gets better as I get older. I appreciate more and more the performances of Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. I enjoy the clever writing that much more. Maybe most importantly though, I appreciate the message of the movie. I think people forget this is actually a Christmas movie and should be right up there with some of the other holiday classics.
#76 Dan In Real Life
-- When I began to make my list of top 100 movies, I first made a list of movies that should be considered. This movie made that list but ultimately did not make my Top 100 list. I think if I had a top 125 list, it makes the cut. It is a quality movie and Steve Carell does an amazing job. What I don't like is that it looks a little like his newest movie "Crazy Stupid Love". I'm not a fan of when actors do the same movie twice and I think he is doing just that. But anyways, I'm glad one of us decided to recognize this movie because it is a good flick and as Luke said, despite Dane Cook.
#75 The Sandlot
-- As Luke mentioned, this is the first movie on both of our lists, or at least we have both revealed. What he doesn't know is that we actually have had a lot of movies in common, just ranked differently. But not this movie, which we both have ranked in similar spots. As I mentioned, it is just a movie that defines a generation and my childhood. And as Luke so eloquently writes, "Whenever The Sandlot comes on it takes me back to that time - a much simpler time - and I always end up smiling.". Couldn't agree more sir.
#74 The Departed
-- No problem with this selection by any means. In fact, kind of surprised it is so low knowing just how good this movie is. Luke does mention that he has just seen it once and that may play a role in how low it is. But I'll tell you what, I've seen a lot of the movies on my list just once and they rank pretty high so I hope that's not an excuse he is using. I am a big fan of this movie. The acting is outstanding. The plot is simple but at the same time complex. The writing is great. And the ending...I could go on and on about this movie but I'll wait until it hits my list, because it no doubt will.
#73 Ocean's Eleven
-- Just like "Dan In Real Life", Ocean's Eleven made my consideration list but not the final cut. As Luke wrote, it's just a "fun" movie. I'm not normally a fan of huge ensemble movies like this, where you have 6-8 well-known actors in a movie. But this movie moves so easily and the actors do a great job of just playing their role and not trying to take the movie over that it works. I do hope one day that Luke sees the sequels because they are just like this one. I am definitely a fan of this selection and maybe one day, it will crack my top 100.
#72 The Patriot
-- Unlike Luke, I do not think Mel Gibson is a good actor. Never have, even though I have probably seen just a couple of his movies. However, I am a big Heath Ledger fan and have heard good things about his performance in this movie. The thing is, I really hate movies about wars, especially ones like this, using old-school English accents and such. And at 165 minutes, that's an eternity to sit and watch an actor I don't like and a story I tend to not like either. I'll pass.
#71 Office Space
-- I'm sort of shocked this is so low on Luke's list, knowing especially how much this kind of comedy fits his personality. I am a big fan of this movie. I didn't see it until late in college but once I did, I could finally see why people were quoting it all the time or at least referring to it. It doesn't boast your big name stars (Jennifer Aniston the biggest and she's not the central charcter) and it clearly didn't boast a big budget. (Quick aside, this movie reminds me a bit of Horrible Bosses and yet again, Aniston is in it but this time, she is the boss.) Office Space just has a clever plot, some great one-liners and never has a dull moment. Glad it made the list.
So there you have it. My take on Luke's list. 30 movies down, 70 more to go. Sounds like a lot but all things considered, it's really not. Can't wait to see what he churns out next and I hope he feels likewise.
Until next time, Hakuna Matata.
No comments:
Post a Comment