Monday, July 11, 2011

Matt's Top 100 Movies: 91-100


Well, here we go. The journey from movie #100 to #1. As I wrote in my intro post, I hope you enjoy this countdown as much as I enjoyed making the list. It wasn't easy but it was fun to see how it turned out. So let's get to it, starting with movie #100.

100. Fight Club (1999)
Starring Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter
Directed by David Fincher


The first rule of Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club. Well, I'm about to break first rule.

Of all the movies in this list, this is the one that has the most potential to move up. You can take that literally but I truly mean that. I have only seen this movie once, and that was censored and with commercials. So in no way do I feel like I got the full effect of this movie. But with said, I was still moved by the message of this movie. I'm no big rebel or supporter of releasing aggression through fighting but there was something about this movie that motivated me a bit.

It lent this message of you don't really know your limits until your pushed to the edge. Not to mention just this freedom in just doing something crazy and out of the ordinary. I think we all get caught up in our daily routines and what is proper or politically correct too often. This movie represents how we need to remember that if we're not careful, "the things you own will end up owning you". So if you're ever in the mood to see a movie that's different than the norm or thinking about doing something significantly different in your life, pop in this movie. It will motivate you, entertain you, and most importantly, get you thinking. This movie will probably rise whenever I make this list again but I've gotta watch the uncut version next time.

99. Zoolander (2001)
Starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Will Ferrell
Directed by Ben Stiller


I think it's safe to say Ben Stiller is one of my favorite actors out there. It has nothing to do with his acting ability but instead, his ability to make people laugh. In the case of Zoolander, he plays up every stereotype of a model and more, but with this sincerity that makes you feel bad for him. The entire movie is funny, from start to finish. The first time I saw the movie, I don't know if I stopped laughing. It was just, for lack of a better word, stupid.

Gotta give big props to a lot of the actors in this movie too that make it great. Stiller for just being his normal crazy self. Wilson for his laid-back portrayal of Hansen. Ferrell for his eccentric take on Mugatu, And props to Christine Taylor, who is in the middle of it all as the magazine reporter who eventually falls for Zoolander (played by her real-life husband in Stiller).

I'm sure this movie is nowhere close to most people's top 100 but for me, it was all about entertainment value here. I could put this movie on now and still laugh at his friends dying at the gas station, the break-dance fighting, the word "eugogoolizer", and the phrase "so hot right now". All in all, it's a solid watch. Not on the same quality as the many other comedies on this list but worthy of the top 100 when you take all of what I said into consideration and much more.

98. Pineapple Express (2008)
Starring Seth Rogen, James Franco
Directed by David Gordon Green


I'll be honest. I thought there was zero chance I would like this movie. I remember seeing the trailer and sighing, seeing Franco's talent waste away in a stoner-flick. But after watching the movie, I instead gained a new appreciation for Franco's acting ability. His ability to play this character so flawlessly was amazing (he earned a Golden Globe nod for this role for a reason). I expected Rogen to play it well, being the bumbling big goof he has been in every movie he's been in so far. But I did not see this coming from Franco, an Ivy-educated actor coming off the successful Spiderman franchise.

What helps Franco stand out is the great story here. His character along with Rogen running away from bad guys, played by more funny people like Rosie Perez, Gary Cole (from "Office Space") and Craig Robinson (from "The Office"). The banter between Rogen and Franco is hilarious and the antics they get into during the chase is also pretty darn funny.

The best scenes though are near the end as Rogen and Franco are trying to escape death from the bad guys in a warehouse. It has the feel of an action movie with people running, guns being shot, curse words being thrown left and right, and lots more. But the dialogue keeps reminding you this is a comedy, which is much appreciated. The jokes don't seem forced either because by time the final scenes come, you're so invested into the characters, you almost forget they actually aren't high when they are acting those scenes (or are they?). If you were ever afraid to see this movie for fear of being disappointed by dumb dialogue and bad acting, trust me, you'll be pleasantly surprised when it's done.

97. Ray (2004)
Starring Jamie Foxx, Regina King and Kerry Washington
Directed by Taylor Hackford


My whole life, I thought of Ray Charles as that guy who sang in the Pepsi commercials with the Pepsi girls. I always remember thinking how cool that was. A blind guy playing piano and always around beautiful women. Not a bad gig. But after seeing this movie, I think it's safe to say I know more than just his ability to be around fantastic looking females.

Ray Charles lived a troubled life, and this movie chronicles every part of it. Some parts are hard to watch as he struggles with drug addiction and emotional/physical abuse of women. But those hard parts are the most powerful parts and integral in understanding who the real Ray Charles was. He was an innovator, taking music to place no one had taken it yet. He was an inspiration, going blind at age 7 but overcoming the many obstacles that come with that. He also was incredibly talented, as seen by his remarkable success in the music industry for so long. And as if all this wasn't enough great material for a movie, the movie found the perfect person to play the legend in Jamie Foxx.

Before this role, Jamie Foxx had not really been challenged. His TV show was a joke. His movie career included movies like "Bait", "The Players Club" and "Any Given Sunday". Good movies maybe, but none were having anyone thinking he could pull off such a multi-faceted role. But Foxx did just that and more. His natural ability as a singer and piano player helped for sure. But it is acting in the non-musical scenes that really captivated me and others, as seen by his Oscar and Golden Globe victories. His supporting cast was great as well, led by the fine acting from Davis and Washington. The only reason this movie is this low on my list is that biopics aren't my favorite. I normally go for stories and characters that are made up and new to me. But to leave this movie off my list seemed like a mistake, especially considering Foxx's amazing performance and the way it changed my entire opinion of Charles as a performer and a person.

96. Jungle 2 Jungle (1997)
Starring Tim Allen, Martin Short
Directed by John Pasquin


This is probably the first of what will be a few movies people are going to look at with bewilderment and say "Huh?". If that's you, don't worry. You will not be alone. This was never a real popular movie and never will be. But it is a funny movie and one that consistently make me laugh, hence its spot in the top 100.

First off, Tim Allen is just a great comedic actor. He just has a real knack for it, and in this movie, that's no different. He makes this movie with his timely jokes, facial expressions, and ability to make you feel for him as a father in what is a tough situation. Imagine you hear you have a son you've never met who has been living in some tribe in some country, just to have him dropped of at your place in New York City to survive. Hence the Jungle to Jungle title.

If you've seen the movie, you understand just how funny it is. The antics of the kid Mimi-Siku are ridiculous. The crazy, always-nervous nature of Martin Short. And above all, the ever-growing love Tim Allen displays for his son as the movie progresses. There's not one slow spot in the movie and it's one the whole family can see and enjoy. This movie will never win any awards but it will always be entertaining. You should see it...if you can even find it in a video store these days.

95. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)
Starring Jim Carrey, Courteney Cox, Dan Marino
Directed by Tom Shadyac


The first of the movies that ten years ago, may have been in the top 10, but then I grew up, saw much better movies, and realized that while this movie is funny, has its dull points too. But with that said, it has stood the test of time to still the crack the top 100 because of just how crazy the character Ace Ventura is.

Simply put, he's hilarious. The concept of a pet detective in itself is dumb. Then, the actual case he is working on in this movie (looking for the missing Dolphin mascot for the Miami Dolphins) is stupid. And his hair/outfit is beyond ridiculous. But none of that detracts from what is simply an amazing performance by Jim Carrey. This is where his career took off and for good reason. Ace was lovable but a loser. He was intelligent when he wanted to be but impossible to understand at other times. This was all because of the great work by Carrey, who when on his game, can make you forget you're even watching a character (I'll say this again regarding a role of his).

There are plenty of highlights from this movie. The sliding patio door to prove that it was soundproof. The awful acting by Dan Marino. And of course, "laces out". I know if I saw this movie now, it would entertain me but not nearly in the way it did when I was a kid and just thought all the antics were laugh-out-loud good. Now, those are just chuckles but again, this list is about remembering how the movie made you feel then too and Ace Ventura definitely has a spot in my heart as one of my favorite movies at one time in my life.

94. A League of Their Own (1992)
Starring Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna
Directed by Penny Marshall


I'm not a fan of sports movies really. I find them to stray off the real story too often just for the sake of entertainment even when it doesn't need to. But "League" makes the cut here because of what i think is some of the best acting you'll find.

Penny Marshall collected one hell of a cast for this and it pays off. Tom Hanks was excellent as usual and believable as a baseball manager. His "there's no crying in baseball" line is as popular now as it was then still. Geena Davis played Dottie Hinson so well, at the time I thought Davis really was a ballplayer. The way she exhibited leadership, vulnerability, and confidence all at the same time was a thing of beauty. And shoutouts go to Rosie O'Donnell and Madonna who I think carry their weight (no offense to Rosie) with fantastic turns as ballplayers too, something you would never associate with them in real life.

But beyond the great acting is just how good the story is. The league that may or may not survive. The trepidation by men on whether women should even be playing sports. The tension between Dottie and her sister when they play on different teams. The constant bickering between the Rockford Peaches team. And of course, the final play in the final game when Dottie loses the ball when her own seasons bowls her over at home plate. I am a fan of when in a sports movie, the team you've come to know does not win the championship and this movie fit that bill. But honestly, it may be the last few scenes of the movie that make it the classic it is. When all the women are old and re-living their playing days at a baseball exhibit, it hits you that this WAS a true story and these women were real trail blazers. Great stuff.

93. A Goofy Movie (1995)
Voices of Bill Farmer, Jason Marsden, Jim Cummings
Directed by Kevin Lima


Yeah, that's right. This movie made the list. Again, humor me as I describe how a non-Disney classic could crack my top 100.

It really has everything to do with the combination of the music and my love for Goofy. I'll start with the music. The premise of the movie is that Goofy wants to take his son Max on a cross-country trip but Max doesn't want to hang with dear old Dad, especially one as clumsy as Goofy. But when Max tells a girl he likes that he is going with his Dad to a concert for a group called Powerline, he knows he has to somehow get them there. So he changes the map and well, to make a long story short, mishaps and antics ensue but they eventually get to the concert when Goofy and Max bond as they make it on stage (accidentally of course) but become crowd favorites doing a dance that is based off of how Goofy casts a fishing line ("the perfect cast"). The song they dance that to is still on my IPod to this day. It is just a catchy tune and has always stuck with me. For that alone, this movie has always been one of my favorites.

As for Goofy, how can you not like him? A good-natured guy who just simply can't be normal because he is so clumsy and a bit stupid too. He always means well but his son can't see that. It's funny because during the whole movie, you feel bad for Goofy and Max, knowing what it's like to be stuck with an uncool Dad but at the same time, having a son who has zero respect for you and is unwilling to hang with you. The relationship has its ebbs and flows in the movie, just as they do in every father-son relationship. I know it's a cartoon but many of them convey better life lessons than non-animated flicks. So yes, this may not be a Disney classic, but it is one that shares a great message, has some great music and has a great Disney character in Goofy, who could be my Dad anyday.

92. The Preacher's Wife (1996)
Starring Denzel Washington, Whitney Houston, Courtney Vance
Directed by Penny Marshall


For the second time in three movies, a Penny Marshall makes the movie but this time, for a completely different movie. This one has nothing to do with sports, but instead, serves as your somewhat atypical Christmas movie.

Let me begin by saying you have to overlook how bad of an actress Whitney Houston is. I mean, she is awful. But once you get past that, you begin to understand what makes this a good movie. Denzel Washington plays "Dudley", an angel sent from God to repair Houston's marriage with her preacher husband in Vance. As usual, Washington is great, depsite playing a very soft character, one he normally does not play. He is funny, charming and inspiring. Vance also does a great job with his character, as you begin to feel incredibly sorry for the plight of his church that is losing money and his inability to manage taking care of his church members with taking care of his own wife and son.

I don't want to give away the entire movie because I think it is a solid watch come Christmas time. But I will say, in no way is this a classic. It probably wouldn't make my list if I weren't Black, to be honest. Something about this movie has just always made me smile and also made me think. It obviously has religious meaning too, which plays a role in making this list. Also, the music is very good. But above all, it is an entertaining movie. It has laughs, some family drama, and a satisfying ending. I try and make it a point to see this movie sometime around Christmas because I know it'll put me in a good mood. For me, that's the trait of a top 100 movie.

91. Robin Hood: Men In Tights (1993)
Starring Cary Elwes, Richard Lewis, Dave Chappelle
Directed by Mel Brooks


Just thinking about this movie makes me laugh. That's all there is to it. There are so many stupid scenes and great one-liners that alone put this movie on this list. There are also some slow parts and less than stellar acting performances but in all, it'd be impossible for me to leave this movie off the list.

In order to understand why this movie would make my list, you just really have to see the movie. It's a parody of Robin Hood in every way. In this movie, his merry men are more of a Motley crew of jokers. You have a blind guy, a guy named "Ah-Choo" that prompts a "gesundheit" every time his name is mentioned, and many more oddballs like that. They break out into spontaneous song at times. And a la Naked Gun, there are subtle jokes and one-liners that are given throughout the movie just to keep you always smiling.

In all, it's a quality movie. Mel Brooks does a good job of parodying different genres without going too far to make this movie unbearably stupid. At its core, it is a good movie with a storyline that can stand on itself. But without the sporadic and spontaneous jokes/antics, this movie doesn't make my list. The musical number with the Men in Tights alone probably gets this movie in my top 100. I'm not sure this movie will stand the test of time as others but for now, it deserves a spot here for its ability to make me laugh at stupid things, unlike a movie like "Dumb and Dumber".

That's the first 10 everyone. Look out next week for movies #81-90. And don't forget to leave your comments and thoughts of this list in the comments section or on Facebook/Twitter.

And of course, check out my list-making partner in crime Luke and how he ranked movies #91-100.

Until next time, thanks for checking this out. Hakuna Matata.

2 comments:

Columbus1 said...

Jungle 2 Jungle over Fight Club? yikes

RexDMD said...

Fight Club at 100 I am excited to see where you go from there.