Saturday, June 14, 2008

IT'S OVER

It began September 7th, 2004 when I walked into SPAN 212 @ 10am in Gordy Hall. It ended when I walked out of the Convo @ 11:29am on June 14th, 2008. My college career has come and gone and man, it has gone quickly. 4 years of memories, challenges, triumphs and failures culminated into this moment of graduation from Ohio University and punching my ticket into the proverbial "Real World".

So now that I am an alum, how does it feel? All week, I've been struggling on what it would feel like. Would I be happy? Would I be sad? Would I smile with satisfaction or cry my tears out when I drove away from the ATH for the last time? Well, now that the time has come and to answer the question of how it feels, I have one simple word: Weird.

I know it's not the most intelligent or impressive word but honestly, it's the best word for my feelings right now. All day, I have been more reserved than usual, all because I have been reflecting on not only my past but the future that lies ahead. No longer do I have that stalwart answer of "looking forward to summer break and heading back in the fall". No, instead I have a lot of unknowns. One known fact is that I am going to be working in Augusta, GA. Other than that, I don't know much. I have no place to live. I still have no credit card. I have zero furniture and I'm pretty sure my phone just crapped out on me today. I don't know what days I will work or if I'll even be able to be home for any holiday.

Now all of this sounds awful but with my lack of knowledge also comes this great feeling of being able to begin my career. I have 4 years of great experience from a great station. I am confident that I can step right in and do well. Just watching the U.S. Open this weekend has me jacked for the Masters already...and yea, I already marked my mental calendar for April 6-12. Beyond my career, I am excited to get away from the familiar faces and places of the Buckeye State and try to "rough" it on my own. See what I'm made of. Get to know people from many different backgrounds and make many more friends. Learn how to monitor finances and cook my own food. Learn how to balance a professional career and personal life. This kind of stuff should make me nervous but instead, gets me excited to see just how well I can do.

But even though I have tried to force myself to think about the future from now on, I can't help but slip into thoughts of the past. Whether it is because my family keeps asking me about it or every time I log onto Facebook, I cannot help but think about the good times and friends I am leaving as I depart OU and head to GA. I mean, I am really gonna miss them. And it's not the fact that I will not have many more new ones, but it's the fact that when in college, those good times were every day. They were at work or in my apartment. In the classroom or at the establishments. Some were planned but most were spontaneous. No matter what though, I always had a good time and man, those will be missed....big time.

So as the title of the post says, it's over. The 4-year journey called college. You know what's funny is I overheard someone earlier in the week say "I can't wait to graduate". I thought about that today and thought, you know what, the past 4 years flew by so fast. There is no wait. I've been known to compare college to a roller coaster. If I use that same metaphor, your college career starts on the takeoff, not the long wait in the winding line. And just like any good roller coaster, there are ups and downs, twists and turns, cheers and tears...just like your years in college. For me though and many others, the train has reached the station. The lap bar has been released and seatbelt unbuckled. It's time to get up and go. Where? Who knows...but we'll always remember the fun ride we had.

So as we all worry or get anxious about our impending jobs or grad school orientations, just remember the great advice of that wise meerkat and his warthog friend. HAKUNA MATATA. It means no worries for the rest of your days. I hope somewhere in the rest of my days I get to see you again but if not, thank you for joining me for the ride.

No comments: