If you couldn't tell by the title, this one is all about friendships. And trust me, I've made a TON in my four years here. Some were strong and some were small but you can bet that all were special and important to me, especially as I am about to embark on the next chapter of my life. But what made them so great? Or even better...how did they even come about? Well, some were crazy. Others just happened. Regardless, friendships are a big reason for how I got through four crazy years of college.
Freshman year was tough on me at first because I came into this place not knowing many people. But within 36 hours, I had already two of my best friends and it just kinda happened. During our "mandatory" floor meeting in Read Hall, we all went around and introduced ourselves. I heard another person say they were in my major and at the time, thought nothing of it. But when it was time to head to the College of Communication welcome, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if we could walk up there together. So we meet up outside his room and he tells me he is meeting his friend from high school. We meet up with him outside our hall and go on up. Let's just say, within 30 minutes of meeting these two, a great friendship was struck. I knew it when they were already willing to make fun of me before they really even knew me. That's a great characteristic of a friendship. When you feel comfortable enough to make fun of someone without them feeling bad about it. Let's just say since that first meeting, there has been pizza consumed, movies watched and arguments had for four years and hopefully, many more to come even after we graduate.
Other friendships came due to work. Through intramurals, I became great friends with certain refs, PA's and others. Through tour guiding, I stayed friends with my 4-year guides up until my final tour. And through PreCollege, I made friends that saw sides of me that many have never seen.
So I began looking back at some of them and I began laughing because some of these friendships started in weird ways. The guy who I was afraid of my freshman year to the guy who is my drinking buddy now. The girl whose mom was initially afraid of a guy living next to her daughter freshman year. The guy who left Michigan stuff on my door knowing that I was an Ohio State fan. The girl who enjoyed RENT just as much as I do. The roommates of a friend who let me crash at their house time and time again. The summer of 2006 crew that welcomed me through Falcon Beach and Entourage. The PC2K6 and PC2K7 peeps who let me be me and didn't judge (I think). The freshman who challenged me to a beer pong game that never came about. The psycho Packers fan who put up with me as I put him through "Gridiron Boot Camp". The guy who has been my twin for the past 3 years. Oh, and how could I forget the many freshmen I corrupted through PC. Yea, they probably hate me actually....
No matter how I created these friendships, they all have had an impact on my 4 years. They will all be missed somewhat as I graduate because the frequency of seeing each other will diminish but hopefully, through tools like the Book, we'll keep in touch. I know I plan on doing that....being that I will be a lonely, single working man in who knows where America. So to all my friends out there, thanks. It's been real. We still have a little bit left so let's get a drink or go out for lunch or something. As long as you pay for it.
HAKUNA MATATA
No comments:
Post a Comment