I graduate college in 7 days. Seems odd. I mean, 4 years ago, I thought this moment would take forever to get to but instead, it feels like it's just flown by. I know, this all sounds cliche but really, 4 years have never gone faster. I have seen and done more than I ever imagined in these past 4 years. I have met friends that I will never forget and (hopefully) keep in touch with after June 14th, 2008. With 7 days left though, it's time to for me to not only enjoy every day that's left but also enjoy every "last".
You know, the "lasts". The things I did many times during college that during these final weeks I will be doing for the last time. Now some of these things, I probably will do again but it won't be the same...or at least feel the same. I can't tell you how many times I've seen an alumni come back to OU and try to replicate the thing they used to do when they were a student. Though they do their best to get that same feeling, it just isn't there. There's just a special feeling when you are a student. And now that I am about to lose that feeling, I better get to all my "lasts".
So what are some of my "lasts"? Well, some of them I have actually experienced. Just this past week, I gave my last tour. For something that I thought would be very sentimental, instead it was just routine. The families stunk...I mean zero personality. It was about 92 degrees and humid outside and I sweat through my shirt. It wasn't the worst tour but for the final trip walking backwards around the campus, it was less than stellar.
My last IM supervisor shift was rather uneventful as well. I mean, most supervisor shifts are already so it wasn't anything new. I had a great crew to work with so that made it fun. Again, the heat was a factor but man, thinking back on those cold, rainy nights on those fields, a little extra sunshine and humidity wasn't all that bad. And though I have worked for IM Sports since freshman year and been a supervisor for 8 quarters, trust me, there were no feeling of sadness here. Onward.
My last news TV reporting and anchoring were mixed. The anchoring was fun as usual, getting a chance to work with the people I love working with. The reporting flat out stunk for it being my last gig. Covering the funeral of a 22-year old US Army soldier who died in Iraq two weeks ago. I never volunteered to be a news reporter to see cover events like that. I hated the fact that I had to do it. Looking back, I am sort of glad I did experience the event because I know nothing could be worse. But man, what a way to go out huh?
Now those are just three of the many "lasts" that are to come over the next week. "Lasts" such as my last shuffle, last Pub pint night and aquarium night, last Big Mamma's gringo, last $3.95 Chinese, last DM at USD, last Pizza Hut Buffet, Taco John's and McHappy's with KHunt and Luke, last sportscast, last final exam, last walk on College Green and yes, that last drive leaving Athens towards Columbus.
Some of these "lasts" are gonna be tough on me. Some of them won't be tough at all. All of them though are gonna be special because they all have meant something to my college career. My plan right now is to write a different blog post for the last 7 days until graduation. Obviously, this is post number 1. I don't really know what I'm gonna write about but I can tell you this, it will come from the heart. For now, I'm gonna get ready for my "lasts" and as usual, I leave you with my motto for life: HAKUNA MATATA
No comments:
Post a Comment