Monday, September 05, 2011

Matt's Top 100 Movies: Luke's List (21-30)


When we're this late in the game, it's gonna be hard for me to really hate a movie on Luke's list. The odds just aren't good. I either haven't seen it or it is one I considered or have on my list. So without further adieu, here's my take on Luke's latest ten movies.

30. Training Day
-- Well, you obviously know I like this movie. It made my list at #36 so clearly Luke and I share a love for this movie. It has great acting, a fantastic plot, and the way it moves never leaves you bored. Just glad both Luke and I saw this one, even if it was later than most have.

29. Field of Dreams
-- Seen this movie but never really felt it was a classic. Yeah, it has its moments and as Luke points out, it holds lots of meanings. It can be a sentimental movie but I just found it a bit much. I don't know. Maybe I am off base here but I just didn't really like it. It is an entertaining movie but not one that I came close to considering as a top 100 flick.

28. Cast Away
-- Any movie that helps inspire a TV series like LOST is probably a good movie. Not to mention it stars Tom Hanks, easily one of the better actors of our generation. Oh, and the director Robert Zemeckis teaming with Hanks after Forrest Gump probably means great chemistry that shows up on screen. I haven't seen this movie though and while I still want to, not really on my to-do list. I know I would find the plot captivating (I did watch LOST) and the acting to be magnificent but I just think there are other movies out there now that I need to see before this one. No problem with this selection though.

27. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
-- I haven't seen ANY of the Pirates movies...and I'm just fine with that. I'm just not a fan of this type of movie. The fantasy type, a la Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. This series falls in that category for me. For all I know, I may love this movie as much as I love the ride at Disney World ("Ahoy Mateys! Please keep your arms and legs inside the boat") but I'm willing to take the chance and never know. But judging by how others see this movie, I can understand why Luke has it this high.

26. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
-- I've only seen this movie once and it was a LONG time ago so I don't even know if I can judge this one fully. What I liked about the movie is Ferris as a character. Who doesn't like a kid who makes the most of a day off school? But other than that fact, I don't remember this movie having the WOW factor or making me want to see it again anytime soon. The trailer Luke posted didn;t do it any help either in convincing me it is a fun movie to watch. But I agree with the way Ferris lives his life: Make the most of every day.

25. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
-- I remember in college hearing Kevin and Luke talk about this movie when we lived in Bromley 310. I had never seen it and still haven't seen the full film. But from the scenes I saw when they were watching it one day, I need to. I love John Candy and Steve Martin and I also love a good buddy comedy movie. That's the reason I like Role Models, 40-Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and others. It's not just one person, but two or more that make it work. Plus, it's a John Hughes movie and he doesn't do bad movies (see: Uncle Buck, Home Alone, etc...)

24. Apocalypto
-- Color me confused with this selection. Never seen it and never had an inkling of interest to see it. I've already chronicled my disdain for anything Mel Gibson so I won't go there. But I will say that I do not like movies I have to read subtitles the entire time. I also don't care too much for period pieces, movies set in times well before or after the current time. Doesn't mean I won't see them or enjoy them but I don't seek out those kinds of movies. The trailer for the movie is a bit intriguing but I don't know. I'll just have to trust Luke on this one.

23. The Truman Show
-- Seen this movie and loved this movie. Like Luke said, what makes it good it its plot/script. The idea that a man's life from birth is the subject of a 24-hour TV is amazing. But tit takes more than a good plot/script to make this movie work. It takes great acting and they get it here. They tried to do a movie after this one starring Matthew McConaughey called "EdTV" and boy, was that awful. This one is better for more reasons than I can type right. Just a quality movie that I'm glad gets recognized on Luke's list.

22. I Am Sam
-- A movie I have been intrigued by ever since the Oscars when Sean Penn was nominated for his role. I remember seeing those awards and seeing his character's short clip and thinking, "That's a movie I need to see". The plot is right up my alley. Someone fighting for respect, for equality, for dignity. It's a fight you can never hear enough about. And like most fights for respect, dignity and/or equality, it teaches a more valuable lesson also. I commend Luke for this movie. Again, haven't seen it but already knowing the premise and the outstanding acting sure to be done by Sean Penn, I have no doubt I will be moved by this movie just as Luke was.

21. Stranger Than Fiction
-- This movie being in this spot is stranger than fiction, pun intended. I haven't seen this movie and that's from because of the urging of friends who did not like it. I saw parts of it on HBO a few times in college and never stopped. Nothing about the movie grabbed me. I am a fan of seeing funny guys take dramatic roles too but I just never got the vibe form anyone until Luke right now that this movie was not only good, but worthy of #21 on an esteemed list such as this. Truly a head scratcher.

Alright, I'm done judging Luke's picks. Time to start working on my next post, which will reveal not ten movies this week, but just 5 as we begin to countdown to #1. Time to give each movie from here on out a bit more love than the rest. May see some video clips, favorite quotes, and more.

Until next time, Hakuna Matata

No comments: