Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Matt's Top 100 Movies: 16-20

And here we are. The top 20 movies I've seen. Been a fun journey so far but it's only gonna get better from here. That's because now the posts reveal less movies but reveal more of why I like a particular movie. After taking a bit of a dramatic turn in movies 21-30, the next 5 movies I will reveal are from the funny side of me. All 5 are movies I have seen numerous times and know I will see numerous times for a long, long time. It was easy to put them on this list. It wasn't as easy to place them because in all honesty, I could shuffle these movies around and still be happy. Here we go.

20. Jack (1996)
Starring Robin Williams, Diane Lane, Jennifer Lopez, Bill Cosby
Directed by Francis Ford Coppola


I couldn't tell you the first time I saw this movie. But I can tell you that ever since then, I can't wait to see it again. It's one of those movies that just makes you smile. I know that sounds simple but that's what this movie does. It entertains you, makes you think a bit, but ultimately, just makes you happy cause it's such a good time.

The plot is great. Jack has an unusual aging disorder that has him age 4 times faster than normal. So when he heads to the fifth grade, he looks like he is 40 years old. After years of home schooling, Jack decides to venture into an actual school. As you can imagine, his appearance becomes playground fodder and he is quickly cast as an outcast. But like most kids at that age, it takes just one kid to befriend him and from there, friendships are made, opinions are changed, and good times are had. That's exactly what you get in this movie.

I can name tons of great scenes in this movie because there truly are tons. There isn't a slow moment in this movie as you see kids be kids and Jack (played wonderfully by Robin Williams) learn to embrace his appearance and at times, use it to his advantage. You see Jack overcome challenges, with the help of his family, friends, and teachers. It is just a feel-good movie that hits on all cylinders.

All through this movie list, I have gotten a lot of grief about my amount of animated movies and my willingness to embrace movies that should really only crack this list if I were a kid. But the thing is, I embrace my inner child. At times, I like to think I am Jack. I am still that little kid that is always curious. That kid who will try anything because I don't see the consequences. That kid who tells little white lies to get what I want. All of these things and more I hope stay with me no matter how old I get. Just how I try to hang onto my college habits more than 3 years out of college, I try to hang onto those childhood views that not only keep me young, but keep me from growing up too quickly.

This movie reminds of us that. It's okay to be a kid sometimes. It's okay to be a little silly. Don't ever take life too seriously, whether you are 10, 40 or 80. Life should be fun. I mean, you only get one of them. Why not make the most of it?

Video ClipsI couldn't find great clips of this movie. In fact, couldn't find many clips at all. But here a couple that I think represent what I mean about Jack's carefree attitude and how he lived life to the fullest.





And here is the trailer...an extended one with lots of scenes that do the movie justice I think.



Memorable Quotes
- Jack: "What do I want to be when I grow up? Alive."

- Jack: "Mom, am I a giant?"

- Louis (Jack's best friend): "I want to be just like my best friend when I grow up. He's only ten but he looks much older. He's like the perfect grown up because on the inside, he's still just a kid - he's not afraid to learn things or try things, or to meet new people the way most grown ups are. It's like he's looking at everything for the first time - because he is. And most grown ups aren't like that."

19. Office Space (1999)
Starring Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston, Gary Cole
Directed by Mike Judge


We've all had those days. Job sucks. You want nothing more than to kick your boss in the face. It's a common thought among millions of Americans every day. But yet, nothing is done about it. Thankfully though, there are movies like this one to allow us to dream about "What if?" and lose ourselves in what is easily one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

What makes this movie so great is the comedy, plain and simple. Every scene is funny and that's not an exaggeration. There is nothing serious about this movie. It knows it takes things a bit further than anyone would actually take them in real life, but that's why it's a movie. For example, the start of the movie has the main character Peter hear from 4 supervisors that the reports need cover letters now. Not often do you have 4 supervisors repeat the same thing to you. But it sets the foundation for what you find out to be a workplace that is clearly impossible to survive in with your sanity in tact.

So Peter and his friends form a plan to plant a virus in the company's system to make money so they can eventually get out of the hellhole they are in. That's the basic plot. But that plot synopsis does not do the movie justice. In fact, nothing I wrote here will because it's impossible to encapsulate this movie in a few paragraphs.

The movie is the perfect blend of comedy and reality. I say reality because we can all relate to feelings the characters have about their workplace. It can be frustrating, irritating and downright terrible. But yet, we trudge through it because it pays the bills. But after Peter sees a hypnotherapist that puts him in a trance that has him forever slacking off, we start to see just how ridiculous the workplace can be. Peter skips work and tells managers how little he does and yet gets promoted. Meanwhile, across the street, his love interest Joanna puts in effort into her job but thanks to a go-getter co-worker, she is always being pushed to do more and ultimately, pushed to her limits. The scenes involving both characters are flat out hilarious, adding to the absurdity of the situations.

Beyond the laughs, there are some great characters. Gary Cole plays one of the worst bosses you could ever have in Bill Lumbergh. Stephen Root plays Milton, a "not all there" guy who is obsessed with a stapler and is unwilling to speak up to authority. Instead, internalizing it all. And then Peter's good friends Michael Bolton (not that Michael Bolton) and Samir provide some great dialogue throughout the movie as nervous nellies as their plan is hatched and eventually executed wrongfully. Not gonna find any Oscar nominations here for acting but trust me, all do an admirable job with their roles and helped make this movie truly hilarious.

The dry, witty comedy of Livingston combined with eccentric comedy of the others just make for a great combination for comedy. Plus, add in the fact that we've all been there and you can probably see why I have this movie this high. The memorable scenes are plentiful, from taking a baseball bat to a faulty copier to Peter's discussions with Bob and Bob. All will have you laughing heartily. I didn't see this movie until college but since then, I think I have seen it more than 5 times and have caught it many a times on TV and watched it from where I found out to finish. It's just that good.

Video Clips

Here is the official trailer. Great stuff in here.



Another great example of the kind of comedy you find in this movie. "I've got people skills!"



What would it be like to have the name Michael Bolton?



And I have to post the classic copier/printer smash scene...



Memorable Quotes:

Nina: Now Milton, don't be greedy, let's pass it along and make sure everyone gets a piece.
Milton Waddams: Yeah, but last time I didn't receive a piece. And I was told...
Nina: Just pass.
[while the cake passes Milton mutters - eventually everybody but Milton gets a piece]
Milton Waddams: [muttering] I could set the building on fire

Peter Gibbons: It's not just about me and my dream of doing nothing. It's about all of us. I don't know what happened to me at that hypnotherapist and, I don't know, maybe it was just shock and it's wearing off now, but when I saw that fat man keel over and die - Michael, we don't have a lot of time on this earth! We weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
Michael Bolton: I told those fudge-packers I liked Michael Bolton's music.
Peter Gibbons: Oh. That is not right, Michael.

Bill Lumbergh: Hello Peter, whats happening? Ummm, I'm gonna need you to go ahead come in tomorrow. So if you could be here around 9 that would be great, mmmk... oh oh! and I almost forgot ahh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too, kay. We ahh lost some people this week and ah, w

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care

18. Juno (2007)
Starring Ellen Page, Jason Bateman, Jennifer Garner, Michael Cera
Directed by Jason Reitman

There are few movies that can make light of such a serious situation and do so without making you uncomfortable or angry. This movie does just that though, and with ease. Instead of feeling awkward about the situation, you find yourself laughing or smiling, even though lives seem to be falling apart.

Let me explain. Juno is a teenage girl who has an unplanned pregnancy, on her first time having sex. Oops. And while she has no intention of keeping the child for herself, she fully plans on having the child. So she sets it up to give the child away to a loving couple, played by the always wonderful Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner. Thing is, Juno is not your typical teenage girl. She has a very sarcastic, self-confident, and thanks to her pregnancy, also a bit emotional as the 9 months go on. But during that time, things go a bit awry. People at school make fun of her as she grows larger, causing her to become even more of an outcast than she already was. Pauly, the baby's dad (played wondefully by Michael Cera) asks another girl out for a school dance. And the to-be parents of Juno's kid are slowly seeing their marriage fall apart as Bateman discovers he still wants to be a kid, let alone be the father of one.

That's just the jist though of this great movie. This movie is obviously much more than that paragraph. It is a collection of great scenes, great lines, and great characters wrapped into an Oscar-winning original screenplay. Like other movies I've put on my list, what I like about this movie is that it feels real. Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time. Decisions on whether to have the child happen all the time. Giving  a child away happens all the time. And marriages fall apart all the time. But rarely do they all unfold with such great dialogue from characters that have so much depth to them.

I've seen this movie twice and both times, I am amazed at just how I get lost in this movie. These characters are fake but the story feels all too real. And thanks to great acting, you truly do sometimes forget it is not real. Ellen Page was nominated for an Oscar for this role and for good reason. Her turn from confident, wisecracking teenager to emotional, confused pregnant mother in a matter of 90 minutes is truly seamless. The supporting cast is easily one of the strongest you'll find in any movie. Bateman and Garner are more than solid. Cera is the perfect choice as the kid who has no business being a father at his age and not knowing how to deal with it. Juno's parents, played by Allison Janney and J.K.Simmons steal the show on multiple occasions as they guide her through the entire process. It's a solid effort by all of them, helping make this movie one of the best I've seen.

It's definitely not a drama but it has dramatic moments in it. In my mind, this is a comedy through and through as we join Juno on this 9-month journey. We fall in love with just about every character, even though all are so different. We also learn valuable life lessons through the mistakes of others. The ending is very satisfying and the movie flows nicely with not one slow spot in its 96-minute time frame. It has an indie-movie feel, which I appreciate. With a budget of just $7.5 million, this movie grossed more than $140 million worldwide. If you haven't seen it yet, you'll find out why it did.

Video Clips

Here is the trailer, which pretty much sums up what I wrote above. If this doesn't hook you, I'm not sure what will.




Here is the song that kind of brings the whole movie together at the end.



And this clip just gives you a good idea of the kind of comedy you get from the movie. Classic Juno.



Memorable Quotes: (all from Juno)

Juno MacGuff: You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events.

Juno MacGuff: As far as boyfriends go, Paulie Bleeker is totally boss. He is the cheese to my macaroni. And, I know that people are supposed to fall in love before they reproduce, but... I guess normalcy isn't really our style.

Juno MacGuff: I could so go for like a huge cookie right now, with like, a lamb kabob simultaneously.


Juno MacGuff: Can I use the facilities? Because being pregnant makes me pee like Seabiscuit!

Juno MacGuff: I am giving you the gift of life, screaming, pooping life, and you don't even have to be there when it comes out all covered in blood and guts

17. Coming To America (1988)
Starring Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, James Earl Jones
Directed by John Landis

Fun fact: If you asked me what is the first rated-R movie I saw in my life, this movie would be the answer. If you asked me what age, all I could tell you was 5 or younger. Yep, that's right. My parents let me see this movie that young. But before you go calling children's services on them, remember this. I was so young, I had not one clue what I was hearing or even seeing. All I saw was flashy jewelry, greasy hair, and lots of laughing. That equaled a great movie to me then. Fast forward now to 2011 and being 25 years old and the same movie ranks in my top 20. Yeah, it's that good.

Thankfully now, I like this movie for more than just the jewelry, hair and laughing. No, I like this movie because it is just flat-out funny. Credit most of that to Eddie Murphy, who excels in yet another movie playing multiple characters. Also give some credit for the ridiculous but heart-warming plot, that centers around an African prince who wants to find his own wife instead of having one chosen for him. When he decides to embark on this quest for a wife, he figures what better place for a future king to find his bride than Queens, New York. Seems like a good idea, except for the fact that it is Queens, New York.

The culture shock for Prince Akeem (Murphy) and his sidekick/friend Semmi (Arsenio Hall) really drives the movie from start to finish. Seeing them try to assimilate into not just the American culture, but the New York culture is downright hilarious. So many scenes are laugh-out-loud funny, and that's not exaggerating. The quest to find love is also one that provides laughter as Akeem searches far and wide for women and most times, in the wrong places. And the barbershop scenes...oh, those barbershop scenes. Simply priceless.

What puts this movie into my top 20 is just how innocent it is at its core. Prince Akeem just wants to find his own Queen. Semmi just wants to get back to where he is comfortable. John Amos, who plays the manager of the McDonald's the two work at and the father of the eventual bride to Akeem simply wants to make money and not see his daughter be hurt. But beyond that, it really is a great showcase of Black America. Yes, Black people can be loud. Yes, Black preachers can go on and on and on. Yes, Black people loved their Jheri Curl ("Just let your Soullllllllllllllll-Glo"). And yes, Black barbershops are more than just places to get your haircuts. It's a place to socialize. This movie does a grat job of not just portraying in a good light, but in an accurate light. Not a lot of movies will do that but thankfully, this one does. I think that's one reason my parents didn;t mind me watching this movie at such a tender age.

Now with that said, this movie is rated R for a reason. The language in the barbershop is filthy. The first scene of the movie has Prince Akeem have his "royal penis" cleaned by women who come for underwater topless. Yeah, it's a sight to see. One that I did not notice until I was 12 and was shocked by how oblivious I was to it at 5 or younger (but who wouldn't be?). This movie is not just a great memory of my childhood but a great movie in general. It doesn't have a slow moment, has great acting, and plenty of memorable scenes that I have posted below. Go see it if you never have. It may be 23 years old but it will be good anytime.

Video Clips

I'll start with the trailer. Just seems fair.




So how does the search start for his "Queen to be"? Not gracefully for sure, haha.



No better way to pick up a woman than with a new haircut. And no better haircut than the Jheri Curl then. But you gotta put some product in it. So why not let your "Soul Glo"?



And of course, gotta put a Barbershop scene. This is NSFW so plug in the headphones or if you aren't at home...and if at home, earmuff the kids. Look for Cuba Gooding Jr. cameo. And apologies to those who know this scene like I do for the video cutting short right before maybe the best part. ("F-You, F-You and F-You. Who's next")



Memorable Quotes:

Randy Watson: Give a hand to my band, Sexual Chocolate.

Reverend Brown: Girl, you look so good, someone ought to put you on a plate and sop you up with a biscuit.

Oha: [singing] She's your Queen-to-be. A Queen-to-be forever. A Queen who'll do whatever his highness desires. She's your Queen-to-be. A vision of perfection. An object of affection to quench your royal fire. Completely free from infection. To be used at your discretion. Waiting only for your direction. Your Queen-to-be.

16. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004)
Starring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Christine Taylor
Directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber

Very few movies are quotables. Well, let me rephrase that. Very few movies are quotable from start to finish. Well, Dodgeball is one of those movies. In the 7 years since I've seen this movie, I still quote this movie. Whether it be Ben Stiller's character White Goodman or Jason Bateman's character color commentator Pepper, this movie will forever be one of my favorites.

No need to even go over the plot of this movie. Nearly everyone I know has seen this movie. And not just once, but multiple times because each and every time you see it, you are entertained. yes, you know what's coming, but it doesn't even matter because you are guaranteed to laugh. As you probably have noticed through the countdown, I love a good underdog story. And while this movie is one of those, that's not the reason I like it. In fact, that has nothing to do with it. No, the reason I like this movie is simply because of th comedy and the cast of characters.

Just think about it. You have your straight-laced, normal guy in Peter (Vince Vaughn), who is just looking to keep his gym open in any way. You have Kate (Christin Taylor), the lady from the bank who falls in love with the rag-tag group with the huge dream. That rag-tag group includes the likes of a skinny, unpopular teenager (Justin Long), an unathletic but ambitious big man (Stephen Root from "Office Space"), a Black guy who talks a good game but can't back it up (Chris Williams), and of course, a guys who thinks he is a pirate (Alan Tudyk). Of course, you can't forget Rip Torn as Patches O'Hoolihan who with his unique teaching style and foul language provides some of the best laughs in the movie.

Ben Stiller steals the show as he usually does in movies he stars in though. His character is stupid and cocky (shocking I know) and has no problem flaunting either of those characteristics. His lines are downright hilarious and his demeanor is well, hilarious too. His courtship of Kate cracks me up and his mannerisms make for laughs even when he's not speaking.

The actual Dodgeball scenes are short but stupendous. In fact, because they are so short, the movie moves faster than most sports movies. The action is quick, allowing us not to dwell on the inevitable (the two rivals facing each other) but instead, getting more great comedy from Stiller, Vaughn, and the dodgeball announcers Bateman and Gary Cole. The variety of characters allows you to root for a little bit of everything and allows each one of them to be a hero at one point or another. The way they rally together is inspiring, even for a comedy. It's just really hard not to enjoy this movie. If you like funny, memorable scenes and characters that are a bit out of the nor,, you have to like this movie. Maybe I ranked this movie too high but for the amount of times I have seen this movie and the amount of times I quote it, it clearly deserves a spot in the top 20.

Video Clips

A movie this funny has to have a funny trailer right? Of course...



The next clip is the best of Patches O'Hoolihan. I forgot how funny he actually was until this little mash-up.



And of course, gotta have the best of Cotton and Pepper calling all the action on ESPN 8, the Ocho.



Memorable Quotes:

Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking about quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer, all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and I won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying from that's keeping you from the finals?


Young Patches O'Houlihan: Dodgeball is a sport of violence, exclusion, and degradation.

Cotton McKnight: I'm being told that Average Joe's does not have enough players and will be forfeiting the championship match.
Pepper Brooks: It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.


Pepper Brooks: Effin' A, Cotton, Effin' A!

Cotton McKnight: We haven't seen Average Joe's yet. They haven't made it to the court. It could be a psychological ploy, or something worse.
Pepper Brooks: They're definitely not on the court, Cotton. Their absence is noticeable.

So there you have it. My latest 5 movies. Just 15 more to go and I promise you, the next 5 take a bit more of a dramatic turn. Hey, make sure you read Luke's post of his movies 16-20. It's just the right thing to do.

Until next time, Hakuna Matata

No comments: