
So far through this countdown, I'm pretty sure Luke has mentioned more movies on his list that I have NOT seen than movies that I have seen. My hope though was that in these last 20, that trend would change and I could give a great reaction to each of his movies.
But of course, that hope was dashed in movies 20-16 from Luke. Not only did he put more movies that I had not seen, he only put movies that I had not seen. Thankfully, I have seen 4 of the 5 in movies 11-15. So this reaction post has some meat to it but it also has a lot of veggies (I know that makes no sense) so read at your own risk.
But of course, that hope was dashed in movies 20-16 from Luke. Not only did he put more movies that I had not seen, he only put movies that I had not seen. Thankfully, I have seen 4 of the 5 in movies 11-15. So this reaction post has some meat to it but it also has a lot of veggies (I know that makes no sense) so read at your own risk.
20. Mr. Holland's Opus
-- I remember this trailer when I was younger and then, I thought it boring. The commercials on TV were also boring. So needless to say, when the movies actually came out, I had no want to see the movie. And even though Luke has ranked it so high on his list, I still don't want to see this movie. And this coming from a guy who has a passion for music. Sorry but no thanks.19. Crazy Heart
-- There is one, and only one reason I want to see this movie: Jeff Bridges. He has forever been an actor I respected. So when he won the Oscar for this performance, it made me want to see what all the fuss was about. But I'm not a big fan of the premise of this movie. First off, country music. Secondly, the storyline is kind of been there, done that. And thirdly, I've never seen a good Maggie Gyllenhaal performance. But one day, I hope to give this a shot because you don't get nominated for a Best Picture Oscar for being a bad movie.18. Gone Baby Gone
-- A movie that sort of intrigued me when it was in theaters but not one I ever thought about seeing. Ben Affleck has proven he can write a good movie and from all accounts, can direct a good movie too. Thing is, I haven't seen any of them. I need to change that. I would probably see "the Town" first but this is one I wouldn't mind checking out. For Luke to put it on his list though brings about no bad comment from me. Heard nothing but good things.17. Rain Man
-- I know, I know. I should have seen this movie by now. It is an American classic and an Oscar winner. But you have to consider a couple things. This movie came out in 1988 so it wasn;t exactly a must-watch when I was 2 years old. And secondly, there are lots of Amercian classics. I've seen a lot but I know I have more to see. And I like to think I have time to do it. So kudos for Luke for seeing this one and ranking it so high. But again, nothing really to say here.16. A Christmas Story
-- I do however have something to say here. Again, have not seen this movie from start to finish but that's simply because I can't make it the whole way. It's just not good. I don't find it funny or heartwarming. As much as Luke says it's not Christmas until he see this movie, it's not Christmas for me until I moan and groan that they continue to show it on repeat for a whole day on TBS. Seriously, a "Home Alone" marathon I understand. Grinch, Frosty and Rudolph, let's do it. But this movie is simply not good. But of course, that's just my opinion.15. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy
-- Well done sir. Come on, you think a guy in my profession wouldn't like a movie like this? It's flat out hilarious. As Luke writes, what may makes this movie so great is it's quotability. All through college and to this day, I have met people who quote the movie as much as I do. It's pure comedy genius. And kudos to every main character. Not Just Will Ferrell, but Carell, Rudd, Koechner, Applegate and Willard. Just great stuff.14. Good Will Hunting
-- If you've been reading my list, you know my take on this fine movie. I just saw it a few months ago and am really glad I did. Luke couldn't be more right when he says this movie is about more than just an intelligent janitor. It hits you on so many levels and thank to fantastic acting from all of its main characters, you feel it on all of those levels. It ranked #38 on my list but I have no problem with Luke listing it this high. When I see it again, it may end up this high as well.13. The Hangover
-- Probably the only movie I went to go see simply because EVERYONE who had seen it texted me to go see it. I mean, literally, every person I know would text me and ask if I had seen it or just ask me to my face. After a couple weeks of just thinking people were getting paid to say this, I went and well, I understood and agreed with their assessment. Luke is dead-on when he says this movie makes you laugh in different ways. It's a mix of everything, not just one. I will say it makes me sad to think this is the final comedy on his list. Luke's a funny guy and loves a good laugh so it does sort of shock me to see this movie be the comedic finale to his countdown.12. Life is Beautiful
-- Luke mentioned a few years ago that he liked this movie and well, I was a bit taken aback because well, I hadn't heard of it. I wasn't following Oscar nominations bak in 1997 so I don;t remember its success there and I truly don't remember any buzz about it. I have met people who do like the movie though so that encourages me that Luke is not crazy for putting this on his list. But #12...wow. Whenever I do see it, it better be good because this is a lofty ranking, Critics love it. Luke loves it. We'll see.11. The Dark Knight
-- This movie narrowly missed my top 20 so you know I hve no problem with this movie landing just outside of Luke's top 10. Much like Luke, Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker ranks right up there as one of the best performances I've ever seen. There is simply not one fault to this movie. Yep, not even Maggie Gyllenhaal's mediocre acting. It is easily the best Batman movie ever and I can only hope "The Dark Knight Rises" rises above this one instead of falling flat like sequels to great movies tend to do.Alright all, that's my reaction. My unveiling of #10 will be coming very, very soon. So check back in the near future and find out where I begin the top 10!
No comments:
Post a Comment