Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Black History Month - Day 1


Happy Black History Month!

First off, let me give a big thank you to all those who sent me calls, texts, facebook messages and more to wish me a Happy Black History Month. Some people even phrased it as Happy "your month". Well, I hope you all understand that this is not MY month, but OUR month, to learn, appreciate, and remember the great achievements of Black people past and present.

Speaking of that, the countdown has begun. In case you don't know what I am talking about, check out the intro post I put up yesterday. Luke has posted his first of 28 blog posts, counting down the 28 best movie roles played by Black actors/actresses. Let's get it started!

#28 Wesley Snipes as "Sidney Deane" in "White Men Can't Jump"

Read Luke's full post here

LUKE'S TAKE: Yes, I could crack some jokes about how it's tax time, but let's not. Basketball movies are hard to make because it will be judged on how real the game appears on-screen. Well, after watching White Men Can't Jump, I was convinced that Wesley could ball.

Wesley plays the part of basketball hustler extremely well. He has a sharp mouth, a witty sense of humor, and he's pretty damn good at basketball. As with most of the performances on this list, as you watch, you forget that it's Wesley Snipes, and you lose yourself in the actual character, or in this case, Sidney Deane.

MY TAKE: Not a bad selection. I haven't seen this movie in a VERY long time. In fact, all I remember about it are the basketball scenes, laughing at Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes hair. I also remember that I didn't think it was a great movie. Have a feeling too I would think the same if I saw it now.

But I like the selection because from what I remember, Wesley Snipes did a nice job in the movie. And the movie had some great lines and scenes, especially the basketball scenes. Now is Wesley Snipes one of favorite actors of all time? Absolutely not. Wouldn't even come close to my top 50 Black actors. But in this role, I think he is deserving of the countdown and I appreciate Luke finding a way to recognize that.

Come back tomorrow for #27 on Luke's list as we continue our countdown of the top 28 movie roles by Black actors/actresses. As always, I leave you with a Black History Month quote of the day.

B.H.M Quote of the Day: "Always bet on black." ~Wesley Snipes in the movie "Passenger 57"

No comments: