Monday, January 31, 2011

Black History Month 2011 - Intro


Hello all to the personal blog that I have neglected for oh, a year. Pathetic I know, but between moving cities, getting new jobs, reconnecting with friends, etc..., this venture simply wasn't high on the priority list. But if there were ever an event to move it back into the top 5, Black History Month is it.

I am a big supporter of Black History Month and all it represents. It gives a chance for everyone in this great nation of ours to learn, appreciate, and remember all the great achievements by Black people, past and present. Black people went through so much to get to where we are now, which is a much better place than ever before. I mean, the President of the United States is even Black!

As far as this blog, Black History Month has become an event. With the help of my good friend Luke (who is White), we have started a tradition. Granted this tradition has taken some years off, but it's still a tradition. What we do is I give Luke a topic that deals with Black History Month and then, he has to compile a list form 28-1, depending on the topic. In 2006, it was his favorite songs with the words "Black"in it. In 2009, it was his favorite Black TV characters. Last year was favorite sports moments involving Black athletes.

This year, the topic is simple. Favorite movie roles by Black actors/actresses. Now, he is allowed to repeat the actor/actress and movie but not the role obviously. So if all of his 28 characters come from a Tyler Perry movie (which is impossible cause those movies are AWFUL), then so be it. Also, I have almost begged him to try and incorporate one actress on the list. Luke has a track record of not including females on these lists, hence his relationship status (kidding...but really, he is single ladies!).

Luke has written his own intro regarding the selection process and his excitement for the month. It's a good read so take the time to get his perspective. Just click here.

As the month goes on, I will respond to his posts of his selections right here on this blog. For the most entertaining experience of this month, check out both blogs. Trust me, you won't regret it.

HAPPY BLACK HISTORY MONTH!

No comments: