Thursday, February 03, 2011

Black History Month - Day 3


Happy day after National Signing Day everyone! My response post yesterday was a little later than usual but it was a LONG day for yours truly. But with that said, it was a very rewarding day as I got to cover a great day for kids all over the nation. The day they sign their National Letter of Intent to play football at a university and as well as playing football, also (and most importantly) pursue an education. Congrats to all and hope them all the best (but especially the ones playing at Ohio and Ohio State).

As far as the countdown goes, we're now in Day 3 and so far Luke has been not only been making insightful selections and posts on his blog, but also been right on time, posting them at midnight eastern time. If he keeps this up (which I don't anticipate because something is bound to come up one day), then this will be the smoothest B.H.M. countdown yet. Speaking of that, let's go...

#26 Michael Clarke Duncan as "John Coffey" in "The Green Mile"


Read Luke's full post here

LUKE'S TAKE: John Coffey finds himself on The Green Mile because he was convicted of raping and killing two children. Unlike Big Ben and Ray Lewis however, Coffey had to pay for his crime ... with his life. As the film progresses we realize that Coffey might just not be the big dumb Negro everyone thinks he is.

Similar to Heath Ledger's supporting role of the Joker in The Dark Knight, Michael Clarke Duncan - though not the lead actor - commands the screen in every scene and has you walking away remembering him, not Tom Hanks.

MY TAKE: For the second day in a row, I am disappointed to say that I have never seen this movie. Well, at least not the entire movie. Every time I caught it on TBS, it was right in the middle of it, so I would watch maybe 10-15 minutes before giving up because I had no clue what was going on. But I know exactly what Luke is talking about when he says Michael Clarke Duncan is the actor with the memorable performance here.

From the scenes I remember, I think I was struck with just how many layers there were to him. That's not easy considering he is a HUGE Black guy. You would think he would be typecast as a football player or bodyguard. But in this role, he really stands out. I am kind of sad to see that he has never come close to this performance in any other movie. Much of that can be blamed for his choice in movies lately (Sin City, Talladega Nights, and numerous animated movies). Hopefully, one day he can find a project he can really sink his teeth into and recapture the magic he had from "The Green Mile" because he is capable of another great role.

Apparently, Luke is going to choose an actress for tomorrow's choice. I know this simply because of the hint Luke has given on his blog. Again, you cannot get the full effect of this countdown without reading his blog as well as mine. Plus, his post is complete with videos that supplement his selection and provide you proof of just how excellent these performances are by these talented Black actors/actresses. That's all for now. I leave you with another great quote.

B.H.M Quote of the Day: “I always say YCDA: you can do anything. If you want to be a successful actor, you have to believe in yourself more than anything else, and don't let anybody tell you that you cannot do it because you can.” ~Michael Clarke Duncan


No comments: