Every year, the world becomes a better place for yours truly. Why you ask? For one simple reason: the start of Black History Month. 28 days of celebrating all the great achievements of Black people in the past and present. 28 days to recognize them for all their blood, sweat and tears in their fight for equality. 28 days to remember we still have a long way to go in that fight. And also, 28 days to check out this blog as we celebrate that and much more.Now while I could supply you with a different Black History fact every day, I don't want to do that. Not because I don't think you would be educated by it or be fascinated by it, but I think that is something you should do already. Instead, I have something a bit more fun planned on this blog. Something that is becoming a tradition.
It began for real in 2007 with my good friend Luke Florence. We are both big fans of lists of just about anything. So when B.H.M. came around, it just made sense to make some kind of list to celebrate the 28 days. Well, in 2007, it was songs with the word Black in them. After a shaky 2008, last year Luke counted down his 28 favorite Black TV Characters/Personalities. This year though, really has the potential to be great.
This year, we decided on the topic of 28 favorite sports moments involving Black athletes in my lifetime. So that means any great moment since July 26, 1986, when yours truly left the womb. Luke and I are both big sports fans so I already expect a great dialogue every day with each selection. Now, there may be days when we fall behind a pick or two, but don't worry, all 28 will be put on this blog and his in order with careful analysis.
Now you may think this list is a mockery of the month. I disagree completely. Instead, see it as just further proof of how far this nation has come. The fact that a White guy (Luke) and a Black guy (me) can work together on something like this. The fact that we can honor great achievements by Black athletes is wonderful too. So I hope you'll check in right here to the blog as we count down the great moments.
For now, I leave you with last year's list. See ya soon as we begin with #28.
Luke's Favorite Black TV Characters/Personalities
28. Rev Run (Jeremy Simmons) - "Run's House"
27. Kel Mitchell - "Kenan and Kel", "All That", "Goodburger"
26. Cleveland - "Family Guy"
25. Randy Jackson - "American Idol"
24. Phil Moore - "Nick Arcade"
23. Redd Foxx as "Fred Sanford" - "Sanford and Son"
22. Alton Williams - "Real World: Las Vegas", "Gauntlet"
21. Black Smoke Monster - "LOST"
20. Malcolm-Jamal Warner as "Theo Huxtable" - "The Cosby Show"
19. Charles Barkley - "Inside The NBA"
18. Tracy Morgan - "30 Rock" and "SNL"
17. Alfonso Ribiero as "Carlton Banks" - "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"
16. "Chef" - "South Park"
15. Christopher "Big Black" Boykin - "Rob and Big"
14. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - "WWE"
13. Adewele Akinnouye-Agbaje as "Mr. Eko" - "LOST"
12. Victor Williams as "Deacon Palmer" - "The King of Queens"
11. Bernie Mac - "The Bernie Mac Show"
10. Leslie David Baker as "Stanley Hudson" - "The Office"
9. Michael Wilbon - "PTI"
8. Larry Wilmore - "The Daily Show"
7. Dave Chappelle/Wayne Brady - "Chappelle's Show"
6. Alex Adeyanju/Matt Barnes - "Gridiron Glory"
5. LeVar Burton - "Reading Rainbow"
4. Gervase Peterson - "Survivor: Borneo"
3. Bill Cosby as "Cliff Huxtable" - "The Cosby Show"
2. Donald Faison as "Christopher Turk" - "Scrubs"
1. Will Smith as "Will Smith" - "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"
No comments:
Post a Comment