Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Black History Month 2010 - Day 2


We're off and running our countdown of the top 28 Black Sports Moments since July 1986. It's all part of the celebration of Black History Month, the best month of the year. Luke began the countdown with a bang and it'll be tough to keep that pace up. But I've got faith in him. He hasn't let me down yet when it comes to this month. Don't forget to check out his post first before fully reading mine. It really adds to this whole experience. Plus, he provides a hint for the next person in the countdown. So what's #27?

#27 - Keith Smart in the 1987 NCAA Basketball Championship
Read Luke's full post here

Luke's Take: Don't think Matt Barnes remembers watching this one live, seeing as he was less than one year old when it took place. But, it was a shot ... and a moment, that Bobby Knight and Keith Smart both will never forget.

Keith Smart found the ball, and from almost the same exact spot as Michael Jordan was when he hit the game-winner five years prior, Smart showed no hesitation in burying the jumper and giving the Indiana Hoosiers a 74-73 victory.

My Take: Luke is right that I don't remember seeing this live. But I can assure I've seen it replayed over and over again, and what a moment it was. Smart was not the star of the Hoosiers team. That was Steve Alford. But Smart took over down the stretch and then, made that great shot (video on Luke's blog if you need a refresher).

Unless you are a Syracuse fan, you have to be a fan of this moment. Buzzer-beaters are always a lot of fun but in the NCAA tournament, they're that much better. Then, add in the fact that this was for the title, and yeah, no doubt this had to make the list. Great selection and a great shot.


BHM Quote of the Day: "I always say that the history of the shot is always chasing me to do things the right way. It's an honor, but it always makes me feel that people are looking up to that moment, and I have to make sure that I do all the right things." ~Keith Smart

No comments: