Friday, April 10, 2009

Matt at the Masters: First Round


The tournament has officially begun and boy, did it feel like it. You could feel the excitement in the air as every golfer hoped to start what they hope to be 4 rounds of golf that lead them to a green jacket and Masters championship.

For me, the day started at 6:45am when we left the station. Needless to say, that's quite early. But I did it because I wanted to see Arnold Palmer tee off. Looking back now, I'm really glad I did. There was something special about that moment when Billy Payne, Augusta National Golf Club Chairman announced Palmer, who then hit a perfect drive up the right center fairway to officially kick off the 2009 Masters Tournament.

As far as the round, WOW. Talk about low scores. I knew there was the potential for low scores since the wind died down a bit and the sun was shining but I didn't expect them to be this low. Tons of golfers went under par, including some that you wouldn't think of. Names like Larry Mize, Bernhard Langer and Greg Norman. All 50 years and older but getting the job done on a course that was rewarding those who were making great shots.

Tiger played well overall but probably is not happy with his round of 70. The bogey on 18 will definitely sting, considering the charge he was making on the back nine. Phil didn't play well at all so to be at +1, I think he is quite happy.

Gotta throw some love to Jack Newman, amateur from Michigan State. After going +4 through 12 holes, he rebounded nicely (unlike his basketball team on Monday) and fought back to get 4 birdies in the final 6 holes to finish even. He is in great shape to make the cut.

Tomorrow should see more low scores. Or at least, the potential is there with the weather forecast predicting more of the same. I would expect tougher pin placements though and faster and firmer greens. If that happens, then actually, the scores could be worse. But for now, what a first round of action. If you like birdies, then today was your day!

No comments: