
The saying goes "you only get one chance to make a first impression". Well, after walking inside the gates for the first time at Augusta National Golf Club, let me tell you, I am very impressed.
I've seen the course on TV all these years. In fact, I've seen it in high-definition the past 2 years. But even HD doesn't give it justice. That is an absolutely beautiful place. The flowers, the trees, the clubhouse and more. I was in awe at just how much work the staff at the club puts in to make it so picture-perfect. Kudos to them. It really makes the whole experience that much better.
Today, I had the opportunity to check out the press room, the driving range area and the par 3 course (from a distance). I'll start with the press room. I went to a university with 20,000 students and we had some large lecture halls. Well, the Augusta National press room beats any of them. Computers all over, a massive theater-like seating section, a huge scoreboard, and a cafeteria that reminded me of the good 'ol days in college when I didn't have to cook for myself. Looks like Augusta National knows how to treat the press.
The driving range area may sound like a boring place but when some of the best players in the world are there, it's a great experience. The range today featured Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Steve Stricker, Ryo Ishikawa, Luke Donald, Sean O'Hair, Ryuji Imada and Brandt Snedeker. Also there, former Masters champions Gary Player (what a great guy!), Craig Stadler, Jose Maria Olazabal, Ian Woosnam, Bernhard Langer, and Mark O'Meara. Of course, this is not a complete list as many more golfers hit the range today.
As far as who I interviewed today, it was amateur Drew Kittleson, Stadler, Langer, Furyk, Mickelson (which is amazing), and Player. Let me tell you, Gary Player is a class act. He's got great jokes and a great heart. I could just tell as the interview went on just how much he loves the Masters and the game of golf. He talked for 2 minutes about hoe great Tiger Woods is for the game and how he will bring people in. And he was so passionate about it. This is his 52nd straight Masters and in the energy of his interview, he could play 20 more. Just a great guy.
Finally, the Par 3 course from afar looks amazing. The greens look more like hills. My sports director Kevin told me that's how the greens on the course are as well. That's insane! The Par 3 contest isn't until Wednesday so I'll have to wait to get closer to it but for now, I'm happy.
So there you have it. My first time inside the gates of the prestigious Augusta National Golf Club. Tomorrow (Monday), the media is allowed on the other side of the clubhouse and that means, you guessed, the course. Hopefully, I get a chance to check it out as I get work done as well. We're planning on talking to people such as Anthony Kim, Rory McIlroy, Tiger (of course), Rocco Mediate, Paul Casey, and more. Plus, I will be going live from the course at 5 and 6 pm. Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped.
I will update this blog ASAP when I can after work. Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed it as much I enjoyed stepping foot inside those gates (but I doubt it). Hakuna Matata.
No comments:
Post a Comment