
So I've had a week to decompress from the biggest and best work assignment I've ever been given. I had every intention of writing this post earlier but time was simply not on my side.
I guess I'll start with just saying that spending a week at Augusta National is something I never saw myself doing. It just simply was not on my radar. But from the moment I took the job here, I had been looking forward to it. I think it's safe to say too that I'm already looking forward to next year's.
In terms of the work I did on the course, by no means would you deem it exciting. I mean, standing by a driving range for 2 days waiting/hoping for professional golfers to walk by and talk to you isn't exactly the best thing ever. And the same goes for standing under a tree for 4 days, waiting/hoping for golfers to stop and chat after their round. Phil talked every day as did Gary Player, Trevor Immelman and many more. But Tiger was a different story. He only stopped and talked Saturday. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
No matter how frustrating it was though to see golfer after golfer spurn me, it was still the fact that I was there. I was doing something many will never get the chance to do. So every morning was a good morning, even if that meant a 6am wake up call. But trust me, the hours that I worked that week were brutal. And once you add in the sun wearing you out, the pressures of editing video in a small truck, the numerous live shots (Noon, 5pm and 6pm) that had to be written, and more, it was actually a lot worse.
Monday through Thursday, we got to the course really early. I mean, 8am early. And considering that I didn't go to sleep until about 2am the nights before, I wasn't getting much sleep. In fact, I started losing my voice because when you talk for 18 hours of the day and then don't allow your body to recover, odds are it's going to happen. But by the weekend, we went to the course much later, allowing me to recover a bit.
The course is absolutely beautiful. Seriously, there is not one blade of grass out of place. The course alone is what makes this tournament the best there is in my mind. The field is amazing almost at every tournament. The food is probably delicious at other places too. The traditions are unique but even then, all tournaments have those. But only one tournament has this course and its narrow fairways, perfectly placed bunkers and trees, and of course, its fast greens. The course is really the star.
As far as watching the tournament, I didn't see too much on the course. I was so busy working from under the tree that I didn't leave it too often. But I did manage to see almost every hole at one point or another. I did see Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia and more tee off. I saw Gary Player tee off in his final competitive Masters round. I interviewed nearly half of the field and yes, even got into a fun conversation about the great state of Ohio with Ben Curtis, a former major champion.
I was outside the clubhouse as the former champions arrived for the Champions dinner. I was in the front row watching Arnold Palmer tee off to officially start the tournament. I shook hands with and interviewed former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. I joked with ESPN's Scott Van Pelt about Tiger and even shared a moment with CBS's Jim Nantz, as we both watched Norman tee off Thursday morning.
I experienced the 'Japanese mafia", who followed the every move of the Asian golfers in the field. I saw Pat Summerall and Verne Lundquist, two of my favorite sports announcers. I had tons of fun talking about the cold with caddies. I saw Angel Cabrera win the 73rd Masters with a short par putt on the 2nd playoff hole and was right there when Trevor Immelman slipped the green jacket on the now two-time major champion outside.
I can't even begin to describe just how amazing the entire experience was. And the hardest thing for me to remember is that I was there just doing my job. But no matter where this job and this career takes me, I will never forget that I need to be a fan too. I was right there with the patrons, enjoying every second of Phil and Tiger's final round push and agonizing as Kenny Perry bogeyed the final two holes. Though my badge was different than theirs, my interest and appreciation for the event and the golf action was the same.
So what's next? Well, I get to actually play the course in May. We won't be playing from the tournament tees (thankfully) but instead from the members tee. Trust me, there will be tons of pictures taken and a plethora of bad shots from yours truly. Other than that though, I won't be on the course again until 2010, when the next Masters rolls around,
At 22 years old and in my first TV sports job, I can't complain. I just covered the Masters. One of the most revered sporting events in the world. It may take a while to wipe the smile off of my face. I know Angel Cabrera won the tournament and the green jacket but in a weird way, I feel like I won too.
No comments:
Post a Comment