Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The LOST Chronicles: Season 2


Alright, I have finished Season 2 of LOST. Did it in about 3 weeks too so needless to say, my head hurts. While I have a better idea of what the heck is going on, I still have no idea of what the heck is going on. And while I am not a fan of not knowing what is going on around me, I kind of enjoy just being in the dark with this show. That way when something happens, it doesn't surprise or disappoint me. It just happens.

But anyways, how did I feel towards Season 2?

Well, it begins with the whole hatch thing. You know, Locke and Kate . Well, as much as I liked the first episode, especially the ending with the Jack-Desmond encounter, I hated the following two episodes. Why? Because it didn't advance past the same Jack-Desmond encounter. It was like the island was paused. Kinda annoyed me.

Anyways, once the show finally moved on from that and Desmond ran away, the show began to pick up a bit. The raft people found the tail section (which I saw coming since the beginning of the show) and the hatch's amenities were being revealed. I will say this. When they revealed that Bernard was still alive, again, it was obvious. To bring up this Bernard guy during 4-5 episodes of Season 1 and have him be dead would have just made no sense. So what he's white? It's the 21st century people.

Maybe one of the better episodes of the season was watching how the tail section got through their 48 days. It was fast paced and full of information that helped me understand what the front of the place has been going through and the island. But the next episode when Shannon gets shot may have been better just because, well, Shannon was shot. Amen.

In the middle of the season, things got a little slow for me. Going after Michael again seemed dumb. Why do these people continue to trek through this damn jungle? Just enjoy the hatch and the beach. No jobs, homework, or stress there. But no, let's all be "heroes". Wrong show.

Thankfully, the Michael/Walt storyline disappeared for a while during this season, making the show much more bearable. Plus, the addition of the Henry Gale story made for some fun times. Not being sure if this guy was for real or not was fun. Once I found out he was an "other", I was kinda mad. Again, I liked being in the dark about it. Meanwhile, the visit to where Claire almost gave away her baby was a great episode, answering more questions I kind of had as well as the "Lockdown" one, when more food arrived. Seriously, I need something like that to drop on my porch right now. With this economy and all, it's hard out here for a pimp. Moving on...

The WORST episode yet then came...Dave. What a pointless episode. Story didn't move. Made me even hate Hurley a little bit. I had just started to like him again after that "Numbers" episode but he lost my respect once again with that waste of 42 minutes they call an episode. Oh, and the Rose/Bernard flashback episode is almost just as slow and bad.

Thankfully, the last four episodes redeem the show for those setbacks. When Michael initially came back, I wasn't happy. But by the end of the episode, it was evident that having him back was gonna make for a wild end to the season.

Not gonna lie, I was on the edge of my seat from then to the end of the season. From their trek to the jungle (again, why?) to not pushing the button, the story was moving. Things were happening quick (as I like it) and there weren't many dull moments. Plus, Desmond came back, which is good cause some of these characters bore the heck outta me. He;s not one of them though. I will say, the end of the season made no sense to me. But that's quite fine. Season 3 is around the corner.

In terms of character analysis, Sayid is still my boy. The guy just knows his stuff. Sawyer is growing on me as well. His 'Sawyerisms" single-handedly carry some episodes and his character is more likable as well. Charlie is back to being jolly and not so dark after that dumb "stealing baby' episode. The Koreans are still boring me. I'm still hoping Jin becomes fluent in English before this show is over.

Jack still annoys the heck outta me. The guy must have his own "jump to conclusions" mat (a la Office Space) cause that's all he does. The only time he thinks logically is when he is diagnosing or treating someone. Kate is still being "Wonder Woman", though it was nice to see her miss out on a few adventures. Ana Lucia and Libby are dead, and I'm not crying over it.

Mr. Eko is great. Just too bad he is misunderstood by all. Locke is starting to go crazy, which is a shame cause when he isn't, he's as funny as Sawyer, cause he talks so matter-of-factly. Hopefully, now that he knows the button is important, he'll go back to his "island ways".

But all in all, not a bad season at all. The hatch discoveries have been intriguing and the new faces were a nice change of pace. I kinda have a love/hate opinion with the fact that everyone knows everyone outside of the island somehow. I mean, I believe in the "6 degrees of separation of Kevin Bacon" but this show is taking that to a whole new level.

Two seasons to go before the premiere of Season 5 in mid-January. Am I excited to move on? Of course. I'm not gonna go this far and quit now. But am I pee my pants excited? Well no. This is no Amazing Race or Survivor. But it is still a good show.

So like I said in the last post, I am not gonna over-think this show. I'm just go into each season each episode with an open mind. Just keep going feeling LOST...pun intended.

Season 2 Grade: A- (if you take out those 3-4 episodes), B (if you keep them in)

No comments: