Friday, October 24, 2008

The LOST Chronicles: Season 1


Here's the deal. I've dodged watching the show LOST for a long time now. First, I had the excuse of missing the first few episodes so I couldn't follow the story. Then, I mentioned that I hated shows like it (though there hasn't been any like it). And finally, I just decided it was too late to jump in now going into Season 5 and really enjoy it.

Well, after years of prodding from some friends in Ohio and constant raves about the show, I told myself I would try to catch up, especially since I have a lot of down time here in Augusta. Si with the help of a co-worker and his LOST DVD collection, I am watching every episode of every season in preparation of the Season 5 debut in January.

So what do I think after Season 1?

Well, no doubt I am intrigued. I have always been a sucker for big disaster movies (Twister, The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day, etc...) so the pilot definitely had me going. From there, it's been a little up and down.

I love the way they concentrate on one character's story each episode, especially because I really don't know anything about these random people on this island. So with each episode, I love wondering who I am going to learn more about. The thing is, some characters and their stories are just downright boring/annoying.

I like Jack, the doctor who is used to being a hero so tries to do that all the time. Understood considering his profession. Big fan of Charlie as well. Funny and emotional but not really good for anything on the island. Sawyer is great for a good one-liner though his act is even starting get old.

Locke is an enigma for me. At times, he is the best character on the show. At other times, he gives me a headache. But considering the stuff he's had to deal with in his life, I'll cut him a break. But my favorite character is Sayid. I've always liked thinkers (Donatello was my favorite Nina Turtle) and that's what he is. Not to mention he's the only one gettin' a little lovin' on the side.

Hurley was a favorite of mine until the Numbers episode. Now, he just is a paranoid fat guy that for some reason, goes on these treks despite his slow speed and excessive weight. Michael and Walt can both leave the show anytime. Walt annoys the heck outta me and in turn, makes me hate Michael. So if Walt never comes back from those mysterious guys, I wouldn't mind. I know they are the only prominent Black people on the show but really, go away.

Shannon is the type of person I wouldn't hang out with so I don't like her. She's been pretty much worthless besides her shoddy French. Boone was a cool guy though I got kinda tired of his "protecting Shannon" attitude. Claire has been through a lot so I feel bad for her. Sun is fine when she speaks English. Jin needs to learn soon because I get real tired of seeing him talk to others as if they will understand him. Just frustrating.

But above all, I don't like Kate. She's trying to be Wonder Woman all the time and in all honesty, it bugs the heck out of me. She's like that little kid that always want to go where her older brothers are going. One time, I just want her to not want to do something.

As far as the story so far, I like where the show is going. It is doing a great job of leading up to the fact there the tail section has some survivors as well, as seen by Ana Lucia popping up in the final episode of Season 1. Not to mention also the Black lady consistently saying her husband is alive. How the two will react when they meet up is what I can't wait for.

The hatch could be a good storyline as well, though I don't really understand why these people want to open it. The "Others" would have killed these people by now if they cared so I don't see the reason to open the hatch. But just like a scary movie, leave it up to the brave White guy/girl to go into the darkness because they are "curious". You'll notice you never see a Black character do that in movies because we know better.

So what do I think is coming up? I don't have a frickin clue. I am watching this show with no expectations because I know just how crazy it is and will get later so I'm just gonna take it one show at a time. The numbers keep popping up but I'm not too concerned about that. The "security system" makes no sense to me, just like those boaters who take Walt. Plus, never found out what that wire was.

So yeah, I'm not gonna over-think the show. I'm just gonna go into Season 2 feeling LOST...pun intended.

SEASON ONE GRADE: B+

No comments: