Friday, December 07, 2007

WINTER BREAK...AND I MEAN IT

Ohio University is a great school. I say that a lot in this blog, on the phone, on Facebook and in person. It's a great school for many reasons ranging from its atmosphere, its opportunities and yes, it's long 6-week break between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

Now, there are a lot of critics of our long 6-week break. Some of them are OU students. But if you take a closer look at the break, it's hard for me to find a problem with it.

First of all, it's 6 weeks! And this year, it happens to be 7. That's a long time to get a job, make some much-needed money and eat some (free) home-cooked food from Mom and Pops. Second, while all your friends are thinking about papers and exams they have after a long thanksgiving weekend, all OU students worry about is how much turkey, mashed potatoes and sweet potato pie they can stuff down (and there are always leftovers). And then there's the argument of "Well, we get out in May and you all are out in June". My response: Thank God we get out in June and not May...because what that means is less time in Athens during the always-exciting Spring Quarter. I mean, let's be honest, would you rather be at OU now or in June? Come on, it doesn't get much better than this break. Good time to clear the minds, replenish the wallets and get ready for what will be, for me, the final two quarters of my college career.

So what does one do during this break? Well, some people get jobs. Some go on vacations. Some take on an internship or co-op. Me? I do nothing. And by nothing, I seriously mean nothing. My routine is rather simple. I wake up around noon. Some days are earlier than others. Sometimes, I get up in time to watch Price Is Right at 11am. Other days, I'm in the bed until 2pm. It just depends. During the day, I watch a hodgepodge of TV ranging from dumb MTV shows to the CNN Newsroom. Hey, a boy has gotta know what's goin on in the world. Anyways, at 3pm, I make the most crucial decision of the day: Go to wrestling practice at my former HS or sit at home for 3 more hours. If I go, I get a slight workout, help out my coaches and generally have a good time. If I don't, I do more watching TV, surfing the net and even play some Guitar Hero if I feel daring enough that day.

6pm means parents are rollin home and dinner time. 7-8pm is reserved for Jeopardy and Wheel Of Fortune, unless the Blue Jackets have a game. Then, I begin watching them at 7pm. At 8pm, I begin looking on the TV for somethin good to watch or call some friends on campus and see if anything's up at THE OSU. No matter if I am there or at home, bedtime ranges from 2am-4am and then the cycle restarts.

So why not get a job? Why not intern? Why not take a small vacation somewhere? Well, it isn't called Winter Break for nothing. I work 4 jobs on campus and at all times, am stressed out. So when I come to CBus, the LAST thing I wanna do is work. Yes, the money would be nice but so is watching Plinko and Youtube videos. It may sound lazy but this is now my 4th year doing it. I've got a system and it keeps me busy. I'm never bored. I've always got something to do. It may be as small as beat a high score in text twist or watch a movie such as The Departed at 2am (great movie by the way) but it is a goal for the day.

Now, I will be traveling over the break. I've already gone to Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Next up will be back down to the ATH. Then a trip to Milwaukee to bring the sis back home and then after Christmas, it's down to the Big Easy and Big D for some flag football officiating. But these aren't vacations...they're actually more like work so it almost trumps my point of Winter Break = Break. But hey, can't win 'em all. I mean, heck, my kitchen is being remodeled right now and so far, most days, I awaken to a hammer or drill that sounds as if its right next to my head at 9am. Now that stinks.

So before you go complaining about your Winter Break job/internship/co-op/vacation, just think about me. I'm doin nothin and lovin it. I still have a good time, hang out with friends and eat well. But in general, I do nothing. I am taking a break from school. The books, professors, the JOBS and the stress tht comes with all those. I mean, I do miss Athens and the people but honestly, I love this break because well, it's exactly that. A BREAK!

No comments: