SORRY SANTA...
So there are less than two weeks until Christmas...the most wonderful time of the year according to numerous songs and commercials. Most years, I would agree but honestly as a senior in college, I think spring quarter at OU wins. But Christmas is still a good time.
But here I am, a 21 year old at my parent's house over Winter Break. The tree just went up today (I had to do it) and we have yet to decorate the tree or even put up a single Christmas light. No one in my family has given me a Christmas list and my Mom has even brought up the idea of not even giving gift this year but instead, giving our money and time to those who are less fortunate. Now I am all for helping others, especially those who need it but when it comes to Christmas, I feel like there is a family element and just tradition in it. In other words, if my family did not open up gifts Christmas Day, it would be a travesty in my mind.
For the record, my kitchen is being renovated so my house is a mess. I mean, the food is in the living/dining room, the microwave is in the den, the fridge is still in the kitchen and if we need to wash dishes or just need water for a food dish, it's off to the bathroom. That's not to mention all the equipment from the carpenter that is scattered about the kitchen, family room and garage.
So how does one get ready for the Christmas season with no Christmas spirit evident in the house? Well, one takes matters into his own hands. So today, I did more than my usual sit and watch TV all day. Don't get me wrong, I still did plenty of that but I did move. I moved a cabinet and plant to my patio and moved my TV about 3 feet away from the corner it usually resides. And then, I told my parents that the Christmas tree was going in the spot vacated by the TV. Though they were a bit skeptical of my idea, they knew better than to question me. The look in my eye told them that they had no choice. Their little boy was DESPERATE for Christmas to enter the home and the tree is essential. They knew that disagreeing with me would be like being The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. So they let me do what I wanted and not gonna lie, I like the results.
Then, it was time for another essential part of the Christmas season. The creation of a Christmas list. My parents' lists were short as usual, asking for things ranging from gift cards for restaurants to a vacation to Hawaii (they've been asking for that for the last 5 years). My list, as usual, was long...but I have a reason for that. Every year, I make a list that has about 15-20 things on it that I would like. I do that so that when Christmas Day rolls around, I have no idea what I am getting. Granted, it will probably be on my list but with so many options, it will surprise me.
So I begin to make my Christmas list and I sit there for about 5 minutes and cannot think of one thing. And that's when it dawned on me...what do I want? Or better yet...what do I need? It's funny. When I was younger, Christmas gifts were things I wanted. Now, as a 21-year old college student on the verge of graduation (scary), the Christmas gifts I am asking for are things I need.
For example, my list this year includes stuff such as dress shirts and ties, another suit, windshield wipers for my car and other necessities. I mean, what has life come to when I am asking for windshield wipers? Oh man, I miss the glory days of asking for Sonic The Hedgehog, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles gear. I mean, some of my favorite Christmas' are the ones where I got my Sega, PS2 and The Lion King trilogy. And now, I'm looking forward to ties and boxer briefs? Yikes.
But I know this is just a sign of the all-too-cruel future ahead of me. The future that is the real world. Where watching YouTube videos for 2 hours at a time may never happen or when late-night debuachery with friends will only happen when I have vacation time. So instead of getting depressed about this Christmas, I cannot wait to embrace it. I mean, my hope is that I still get a few fun gifts like another guitar for Guitar Hero or all seasons of Entourage on DVD but I actually hope more that I get my dress shirts, ties and windshield wipers.
Call me old or pathetic but honestly, this is my life now. I have everything I want (well, besides any hope of a love life) and almost everything I need. So why not hit the need column for a change this Christmas right? So yea, sorry Santa. Tell the elves Matt Barnes doesn't need anything too extravagant this year. Just give me the essentials and I'll be just fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment