IF I HAD A MILLION DOLLARS...
What would I do? What would you do? It's not an easy question. And it's definitely not an easy answer. I was watching the lottery drawing for Tuesday and it sparked a small conversation among my parents and I about what I would do with that kind of money. Like many things, I just kinda brushed it off as something that will never happen. But what if it did?
So I thought long and hard about it for the next 5 minutes (trust me, that's long and hard for me over Winter Break) and came up with some ideas of how I would spend that kind of money.
Since I have kids to save money for college for and my sister and I are done this spring, there's no need to put any money towards education. That didn't help me make any choices. Plus, I have no debt. I have no outstanding bills. I don't even own a credit card. My car is paid for and I think I am a lock to win any bets I have with friends right now.
So instead of education and/or debt, I thought I'd start with the one that's most important to me: my family. First off, I'd make sure my parents got as much money as needed to pay off anything they need plus do any and all renovations to the house that they wanted...or move to a new one, though I find that highly unlikely. Once they are good, I'd buy them a vacation anywhere in the world. It'd prolly be a cruise, since my mom doesn't like flying. Week-long away from home in a nice tropical setting would be just what the doctor ordered for them I'd hope.
After I satisfy my parents, it's on to my sister. She's graduating in May and will eb actively searching for a job just like myself. Once she fins her first place, I'd help pay for it. You know, take some of the burden off her shoulders. From there, I'd also treat her to a shopping spree. Not sure on the dollar amount...I mean, I'm dealing with fake money here. But wherever she goes, I go because well, seeing my sister shop on a limitless budget would definitely be a sight to see.
From there, it's on to some donating. I'm thinking about $100,000 to my high school to help with their future endeavors. Another $100,000 to my church since tithing is the right thing to do. And I should probably donate some to OU but you know, wouldn't it just be paying them back? I mean, it's like getting a gift and then giving it back saying, "No, I'm OK. You keep it".
Finally, I'd wanna save at least $100,000 and take it to Las Vegas with some of my best friends. The mission: gamble, drink and be merry. Nothing more and definitely nothing less. I mean, it's not fun to spend money on just yourself. Spending money on yourself and others...now that's fun.
The rest of the money goes in the bank because a brotha can't make an MC Hammer-like mistake and spend it all. Hopefully, the stock market goes well and I make some money off some good investment advice from my Charles Schwab agent.
So yea, it's not the most exciting plan for the million dollars but it's a smart one. It takes care of my family, my school and church family and yes, the friends and social life. Something tells me that if I really thought about this, I'd come up with a better plan but I like my inital plan. Now, that I have a plan, all I need is a million dollars....
No comments:
Post a Comment