No, this doesn't have to do with Black History Month and its lack of being a full month. No, that ship has sailed. It's March and I know it. And no, this has nothing to do with the movie 28 Days Later, which is a good movie but doesn't really relate to my life in any way. No, this post is all about the next 28 days of my life and how excited I am for them.
Let me give you the quick rundown. The 28 days started Sunday at 7pm when the NCAA Selection Show was over on CBS. It will end around 7pm on April 12th here in Augusta, when I am on the 18th hole of Augusta National Golf Course, watching a pro golfer win the Masters. During these 28 days, I am making myself a promise (no pun intended). I am vowing to make each day the best day possible. As the movie/musical RENT would suggest, "No day but today".
So what made me think of this? Well, I got the idea when I woke up Sunday, making my final bracket for my bracketology segments on my sports blog. As I was doing them, I was continually getting frustrated and annoyed as I tried my hardest to predict the field of 65. But once it was over, this feeling of accomplishment came over me. I set my mind to this time-consuming task and despite countless nights of going to bed at 4 a.m. and the lack of huge readership, I didn't stop. Too many times when it comes to these blogs (and other things in my life), I start something with good intentions but inevitably, forget about it. But not this time.
So as I looked at my wall bracket, I told myself, you know what, this was fun. If I died right now, I'd be a happy man because I put my mind to something and did it. Yeah, I know I didn't cure cancer or bring about world peace, but I did something, enjoyed it, and wouldn't take back one second of it.
So that's when I started thinking about the days to come. There are gonna be a lot of fun days. I mean, Tuesday, March 17, I am playing 9 holes of golf for free and covering the regional final between the two Division II basketball teams in our region (Think UNC-Duke). On Thursday, March 19, March Madness begins with 16 college basketball games from noon to midnight. On Thursday, April 2nd, I am going to Charlotte to party with some OU intramural peeps and probably IM peeps from other schools too. And from April 6 to April 12th, I will be on one of the most famous golf courses in the world, covering a golf tournament I have watched religiously since 1997.
So what's not to like right? That's why I told my co-workers emphatically on Sunday that if they see me not smiling or in a bad mood, let me know because there's no reason for me to be in that mood. First off, because these 28 days should be the best 28 days of my life if you look at all the events that are set to occur. But more importantly, a day of being depressed, disappointed, or just plain pissed off is a day wasted.
So I'm gonna really give this a try. Hakuna Matata is all about not worrying but doesn't exactly include living each day to its fullest. So I'm gonna do just that.
- It means exercising/running everyday, because when I do, it's a great start to my day, physically and mentally.
- It means writing on a blog everyday, because it's something I love to do.
- It means talking to a good friend or a family member everyday, something that is sure to bring about a laugh or in the case on one friend in particular, a philosophical moment.
- It means not eating fast food, because why spend money on unhealthy food when I can cook something and have a feeling of pride as I devour my creation.
- It means really enjoying all the sporting events I am going to see and experience in the 28 days, because without sports, I have no job and probably have no life.
- It means going to work with a great attitude and leaving work the same way because the day just goes by faster when I stay in a great mood.
- It means continuing to wake up to "Hakuna Matata" in the morning because honestly, there's nothing better to hear in the morning than Timon singing my life motto.
- It means continuing to watch a movie every week, allowing me to lose myself in something funny or dramatic.
- And above all, it means being thankful everyday for everything. From my family, to my friends, to my health, to my job, to my dependable car, and so on...
When some people think of living life to the fullest, they think of doing crazy things like skydiving or bungee-jumping, or traveling abroad. But I have to live within my means and all of the above are just some of the ways I can make sure that day is the best I could make it. And when these 28 days are over, I am gonna look back and see just how well I did. Cause I know if I can make it 28 days, I can make much longer than that.
So now I ask you, what are you doing? Are you really trying to live each day to the best of your ability? Or are you just going through the motions? This is a crazy world we live in these days and well, you just never know. Don't spend one day thinking about what you could have done. Instead, just do it. Again, "No day but today". That's enough for me now. I have to get some sleep for what's going to be a great day. A day that I'm gonna make the most of from start to finish.
1 comment:
Matt- it only takes 21 days to form a habit... this would be a good one to start! :) Hope all is well.
Post a Comment