First off, I apologize. I can't believe it has been a month since I last posted on this blog. I've had many ideas and many things happen but for some reason, the holiday season got the best of me. And that meant blowing off the blog, which I try not to do. Especially since the things I do instead aren't more productive or even entertaining.
But anyways, in the words of "A Charlie Brown Christmas", Christmas Time is here. And most years for me, that means joy is in the air and I am emptying my wallet for gifts. But funny what a difference a year can make.
Last year, I was home in Columbus with my family. Living under my parents' roof during break. Still getting that quarterly check from OU and making good money on the side as a bball ref. But now, I am in Augusta, GA, living by myself, in an apartment I pay rent for, and there's no money on the side. In fact, the money I make is probably less once you add in expenses and such.
And as for Christmas, well, that's gonna be a bit of a disappointment this year. Without the usual spending cash, the gifts are gonna be a lot cheaper. And even worse, thanks to a badly timed appendix problem with my mom, I'll be without the family. Now, my mom should be just fine (which is all that matters) but it still kinda stinks.
I've always liked to think of myself as a family man first. And while there have been times where I have not acted like it, I am positive that I am. And when it comes to a holiday like Christmas, it really means a lot to be around the ones I love. So being alone for Christmas won't be a lot of fun at all. But if there is a silver lining to all this, it's that not being with my family during this holiday season has really made me appreciate them that much more.
So how am I spending my Christmas so far? Well, I am working on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Fun, I know. But to pass the lonely time, I have plenty of movies lined up that I've been meaning to watch. From "I Am Legend" to "Snakes On A Plane", I should be entertained. I blast Christmas music in the car and at the crib until I can't stand it anymore. Plus, I have a few more shopping days now, which is a blessing and curse at the same time. Oh, and I have some beverages in case I want to sleep a little easier for Santa and two boxes of Cheez-It, sure to be gone by Christmas Day.
So no worries folks, I'll be just fine. If my mom comes out of this surgery fine, then this will be up there as one of the best Christmases ever. Yeah, the gifts won't be as big. And yes, I'll be by myself when I wake up on Christmas morning. But I understand how lucky I am still.
I have a wonderful family. I have amazing friends. I have my health. And hey, I have a job (important these days). So hey, Hakuna Matata. Merry Christmas everyone.
1 comment:
Don't you have some wheat thins to go with those cheez-its?
Post a Comment