Tuesday, September 05, 2006

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS?!

Unfortunately, it is true. School is here once again. The times of not having to worry about writing a paper or reading 50 pages are gone. Summer just kinda flew by, without even telling me hello. Not even a simple wave. For me, summer 2006 will go down as one that I honestly just will not remember actually having. Yes, memorable things happened during this summer but after 18 years of the "typical" summer, this one was special because it never happened. Confused? I don't blame you. Let me explain.

My "typical" summer has always been one of laziness. One that drags on so long that I almost want school to start so I can see all my friends without spending 80 bucks in gas. It also consists of work that well, isn't really work. I mean, I get paid but as you should know, a lot of people get paid for things they shouldn't. And finally, it also involves seeing the same 5-10 people in mass amounts. And though I cherish every moment with these people, it gets old sometimes. And though I love the fact that I do not have homework to worry about, summer sometimes can be a drag.

Well, this summer was completely different. As I stated before, that's if I even really had one. This "summer" started off right where spring ended: working in Athens. Now, I did this half by choice and half because I NEEDED a change of scenery. Well, I worked three jobs, somehow balancing them all (I surprised myself) but yet met some new peeps and had a great time. I got hooked onto two shows (Entourage and Falcon Beach), go to know some new ppl (Lambos Bros., Seany Mac, Solo and others), came up with more drinking games than I thought were possible and got to catch up on some much needed thinking of my future. What's funny is that I look back at that time and refuse to believe that that was half of my summer. It felt like maybe, and I mean MAYBE, a week. But that's how this "summer" was.

Anyways, the second half of "summer" was completely amazing. Again, no time for my usual laziness because I had 14-hour days to look forward to. And honestly, the next four weeks were just a whirlwind. I look back at those weeks and all I can really say is WOW. I mean, it's hard to put into words what PC meant to me. Actually, it's impossible. I went into PC thinking of it as a job and then came out with being an experience. I hope at some point in your lives you get to experience something as great as PC. During those four weeks, I met so many great people that became not only my friends, but my support system when I went through some tough times. The four weeks went quick now that I look back on them. I mean, they really went by quickly but they were still amazing. If I could do it all over again (and I plan on it next year), I would do it in a heartbeat.

Well, back to business. The last two weks of the "summer" were just work. Lots and lots of work. Literally 9-5 and then add 7-12. It was tiring but it was a good kind of tired because I was getting stuff done. I was becoming an adult, learning how to budget my time, how to push myself and how to work hard while having fun at the same time. And now I look at the calendar and I see school starts tomorrow and I feel like this summer went too quick for it to be considered anything. But don't get me wrong. This was a great summer. Yea, I'm calling it a summer now. I accomplished so much over the past 12 weeks, I met some outright amazing people, and I experienced things (good, bad, and ugly) that I never thought I would. That's just how wonderful it was.

So now, it's back to the grind of homework, assignments, papers, quizzes, exams, projects, labs, etc... and the excitement known as learning. As much I love all of the previous, I am already missing my summer. I hope before the school year starts, you can take time to reflect back on your summer as I did. Not only will it make you smile but it will help you re-focus on what you have to do at school. If you're like me, your focus is simple. Getting good grades while having a good time. Work hard, play hard if you will. Just remember, do not waste these years away. You only get one true college experience. Drink it up. It always goes down smooth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aight ron burgundy