Monday, May 29, 2006

THE SECOND YEAR IN REVIEW (PART 3 of 4)

Yes, this is the third installment of my miniseries post. If you missed the previous two, scroll down so you get them in order. Don’t want you miss out on the great excitement from the other posts. Well, actually, I wouldn’t call it excitement. More like boring ramblings from a 19 yr old guy unwilling to go to sleep but instead, type for 20 minutes about nothing, like right now. Oh, so this post is about Spring quarter. So, let the miniseries continue…..

I guess I have to start with spring break. While most people were getting sun in Florida or beyond, Matt was getting his college basketball fix. Yea, I know you’re jealous. While you hung out with hotties on the beach, I watched over 100 hours of March Madness over 8 days….and it was FREE! (for me at least). Yes, my life is that sad that I would rather watch that many hours of March Madness instead of going to, let’s say, Myrtle Beach. Why? Because March Madness is the true essence of sports. It has all the drama, action and suspense you need. You get to see the true emotions of student-athletes, giving it their all, just to play one more game. It is captivating stuff, and this year was no exception. From my depression after Ohio State and Marquette losing to my uncontrolled excitement for George Mason, I loved every minute of my spring break. Plus, when I wasn’t watching basketball, I was hanging with friends from the CO, which is always a good time. Oh, or watching Parental Control on MTV. I don’t what it is about that show, but I’m hooked. Again, I live a sad life. Moving on…

Spring Quarter 2006: Oh how I will miss thee. Literally, this quarter has just been great. Don’t think I can point out one bad weekend or even one bad day. Every day of this quarter has had something great attached with it. It started kinda slow when I noticed I would have to write NINE ESSAYS during the quarter. Not my idea of easy, especially when the weather is nice outside. After a relaxing Easter with the family, it was back to business in the ATH and wow, things sure escalated quickly. The rest of the quarter saw Matt just having a great time. My limit of drinking two days a week started to look like an afterthought. My goal of getting things done before they were supposed to be done also seemed to look like a silly notion. Instead, I just decided to have a good time and enjoy the good times, good weather, and the good friends I have made in my 6 quarters here at OU. That was a good decision.

Some of the highlights of the quarter have just been flat out comical. One of the best is my mistaken identity for this guy named Dante here on campus. Who is Dante? I don’t frickin know but at least 3 weekends, some girl has called me by that name. One week, it’s at a party. The next, just walking out of my dorm. The next, just eating a late-night breakfast at USD. Let me tell ya, this Dante guy is a pimp down here because every girl that knows him wants to do him. So in turn, they wanna do me. Yea, that won’t work. All my friends who have witnessed these occasions think it is hilarious. I find it annoying but hey, maybe one day I will meet this Dante. And I will promptly punch him in the face for all the frustrating moments I have had due to his man-whoreness. That or get his ID and use it at the establishments here.

What else this quarter? Well, how about being stalked by a high school girl who went on one of my tours. Weird? You betcha, especially when she not only e-mails me twice a day but then calls my dorm room and leaves a message. Her reason for contacting me: she wants to know more about the school. That’s fine with me, but then she continues to say, “I wanna talk as friends”. Whoa, hold up. Who are you again? As friends? Yea, this girl was that weird. Of course, I call her back and set the record straight that 1. I don’t know you, 2. If you have a question about OU, ask. If not, don’t talk to me, 3. I don’t even talk to my own friends on the phone “just for fun” so why would I do that with a high school girl I gave a tour to in October? Let’s just say after that brief convo with her over the phone, she hasn’t talked to me since. Never thought being a tour guide would cause me to have a HS stalker but hey, I guess I just have that effect on people.

Then, there is Palmerfest weekend. It started on Friday when my friends dropped by and well, it was fun. RJ found a way to pass out (again) while Jon and Andrew saw more of OU than they probably wanted. All in all, good times. Then, the actual Palmerfest was just downright crazy. I mean, I guess knowing people that actually live on the street helps. Well, the night ended early for yours truly, since I did not know how to pace myself but next year, mark it down: I will go until at least 4am. If I don’t, feel free to write something on my forehead when I am passed out somewhere in Athens.

Thursday nights have been a lot of fun as well this quarter. They have seen some great moments. Whether it was at one of Athens’ establishments, the 6th floor of Bromley, or my own casa, it has been a good time. I don’t regret one second of those Thursday nights. Yea, they probably didn’t put me in the best shape for my tours the next morning OR keep money in the ol’ wallet but they were fun. Really really fun. Too bad my liver doesn’t agree.

Spring also saw many other things. The debut of Newswatch, the return of Jeff and Luke’s mojo, the promotion to SD of Officials, watching my roommates cringe to the movie RENT, the continuation of weekly Cold Stone quarts, the start of my love for Deal or No Deal, Beastfest 2006’s “wet t-shirt competition” and of course, the start of this blog. I mean, this spring has just been unbelievably wonderful. And there is still a week left! Oh buddy…

Well, that’s my quick recap of this quarter. I know I missed a ton of great moments but you know what, I’m not a walking tape recorder. Nor am I able to stay awake long enough to keep writing so I’m gonna finish this up. But before I go, don’t forget to check back for the final part of this 4-part series on my second year. The last edition will focus on the future. I’ll try to keep it on the near future but if I venture into 15-20 years from now, so be it. It’s my blog and I will do what I want. For now though friends, give some money to charity, go for a jog, and HAKUNA MATATA!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey, I happened across your blog and was reading the old entries... I don't know if you ever figured out who Dante was, but I think I know.

Look here. He was a cheerleader and I always thought he looked a lot like you when I was at basketball games this winter.